Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

FS - Mauser 98 in 303

Mauser 303

Hello Guys – a few months ago I bought a rifle by postal bid at the Wellington antique arms auction. It didn’t turn out to be as per the catalogue so hopefully my description is a bit better than theirs and you get what you expect !

Well it is a Mauser 98 and it is in .303. I have no idea how it shoots.

It is a Obendorf Gew 98 action (not matching numbers, dated 1917) that has been fitted with a Lee Enfield 303 barrel – standard No1 profile and length. The barrel is bright but has done a lot of work so is somewhat tired in the throat. It is fitted with Lee Enfield open sights, however the rear sight is windage adjustable, which is pretty nice (and somewhat unusual)
    The bottom metal is standard military, it does feed reliably but you have ensure the rims are not in behind each other.

Not drilled and tapped and bolt not re-bent for a scope. Little bit of surface rust, it'll clean up fine.
    Name:  303M.jpg
Views: 3454
Size:  56.0 KB
    Name:  303Ma.jpg
Views: 2872
Size:  64.8 KB

The stock is a sporterised military stock, quite nicely cut down and checkered, however the barrel channel has been filled with plastic wood.

All in all a good fun project, How about $350 posted (after I sight your FAL).

Hi Guys - Now on Trade Me as well, as long as it doesn't meet its reserve there of $300, first dibs (at $300) to Forum members.

Cheers