Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By 7mm300wby
  • 1 Post By noboots
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst

Thread: Garmin Inreach Mini or similar

Garmin Inreach Mini or similar

Hi, after one of these before I go on a fly in trip with my boy. Does anyone know of a good deal new? I can get one from Amazon for $580 which is very close to the gun city price of $599. There has to be a better deal out there. Will consider second hand if it's in good condition and not that old.

Buy it from wildearth.com.au in Australia for $479 and when you select shipping to NZ, they’ll remove 10% gst and it will cost you about $450nzd

Put the $180 you saved into dinner and flowers for the misus then you’ll get laid and located

I'd imagine you realise they require a service provider and subscription? I have the mini, really good bit of kit but I do need to bluetooth it too my phone to send messages etc via the Earthmate app as the mini has no real interface screen as such (just a tiny menu screen).

I have a pretty much new, never been used in anger, explorer+ that can go for 550 tyd. Bought thinking i was going to do a lot more in the bush than work and family allow.

Thanking you @7mm300wby

And I do realise that I will now be Garmin's new reoccurring revenue source - @6x45
    @feratox - I think I will hold off on that for now as I can get one for $539 from a shop in Chch and am now eagerly checking out the wildearth.com.au link...

This is what google found me @ $539
    7mm300wby likes this.

Lowest price I found was in my 30-second search was $768 until you posted that site, Explorer plus is this one at $692, but I guess could be had from Amazon for $650 plus some postage

If you have any cop mates their union had a group discount direct through Garmin. Maybe not as cheap as what you have found already but wouldnt be a parallel import so retain warranties.

wildearth.com.au is all out of stock of inreaches. I have just ordered through home of brands. I gave them a ring first, they are a real company with a warehouse in christchurch (that has stock), not a front web site pretending to be a local company.

You could try https://trackme.nz/shop for a kiwi company who also provide the connection subscription. Might not be as cheap as an import but it should just *work* fine from the start.

@noboots if you just need it for one trip you're welcome to borrow my SpotX if you want, it's already connected and on unlimited plan so can send as many messages as you want
    Mr300WSM likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, Ö, 9.

Thats a very generous offer @Ryan_Songhurst. I think it's an item I need to own so happy to purchase one.

I picked it up from home of brands today. They confirmed that they are sourcing from Garmin, these are not grey market imports.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    You could try https://trackme.nz/shop for a kiwi company who also provide the connection subscription. Might not be as cheap as an import but it should just *work* fine from the start.
    Definately recommend mates use mine over there Garmin as it works every time!

Quote Originally Posted by duckndeer View Post
    Definately recommend mates use mine over there Garmin as it works every time!
    I was wondering about the third party services. Is the level of service the same? Do the sos messages go to the same emergency center? @duckndeer.

I got mine a week ago but haven't activated it yet as I discovered you need the subscription to turn it on. I was hoping you could set it up and see the map without that.

What model did you buy?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, Ö, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    What model did you buy?
    I got the inreach mini. I already have a Garmin Oregon mapping GPS. I think the Inreach explorer is worth avoiding as it has more basic mapping and the mapping only works while you are paying the subscription. One of the fancier Garmins with the built in mapping and Inreach functionality might be worth having.
    I am a little disappointed at the maps available in the earthmate android app. You have the Garmin low res worldwide one and the NZ open street maps. I know from using the Oregon that the NZ topomaps (both Garmin and 3rd party) are much better with more detail.

Does anyone know what coordinate system to use? It doesn't support NZTM. Should I use UTM? I am hoping that if you press the SOS button then Garmin will translate the coordinates for NZ SAR.