Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree26Likes
  • 2 Post By Frodo
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 3 Post By 257weatherby
  • 1 Post By Pew-Pew
  • 2 Post By MSL
  • 12 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By Sarvo
  • 3 Post By Frodo

Thread: Gauging interest: Mauser 98 custom

Gauging interest: Mauser 98 custom

Name:  received_678831945905386.jpeg
Views: 480
Size:  202.4 KBName:  img-58872_orig.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  189.2 KB

Gauging interest.

As some of you may know, Kevin Gaskill (one of NZ's best stockmakers) has retired from stock making. Here is a chance to own a piece of his work; carved from New Zealand walnut (and a Macassar ebony tip), and bolted onto a fine barrelled action made by Allen Carr.

The rifle forend is very slim and sits in your hand perfectly. Like a fine single shot. The rifle has enough weight to tame the .270 cartridge (7.8 lbs), and the straight stock design and pachmayr pad make recoil very manageable. It's more of a push than a sudden, sharp kick and it feels great off hand. Points like a shotgun.

24" barrel.

Checkered & timed action screws.

Shoots under MOA with factory 130gr Federal. Will do better with handloads.

The action is crisp and butter smooth. It's a DWM 1909 Argentine, made in Germany (one of the very best M98 actions). I've always enjoyed cycling the thing on miserable days stuck in the tent.
    Allen Carr does beautiful work.

The steel scope mounts are made by Conetrol. The bases are their best 'fluted' model, and the rings are 30mm 'custum' rings. Super sleek. RRP $700.

Barrel band.

Extractor has been modified to allow push feeding of single cartridges, in addition to rounds out of the mag. Very versatile. Just in case you get charged by an angry chamois...

Trigger is crisp.

No single spec of rust or grime anywhere, both inside and out. Rifle has been meticulously cared for. It's currently away being professionally refinished (Kevin is doing the stock), and the barrelled action is being re-blued. It'll be in 100% mint condition in a few weeks.

Replacement value of $8-9k. Bit more factoring in the mounts.

I'd be after $4k ono for the whole lot, including free shipping NZ wide.
    Last edited by Frodo; 18-06-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    Hendrik470 and 284 Gypsy like this.

Very nice. I'd be to frightened to use it.
    To dear for me but a cracking deal.
    Frodo likes this.

Imagine bashing your way through the matagouri with that rifle in hand
    Moa Hunter, Frodo and csmiffy like this.

You'd feel like a champion.
    Plastic and alloy are for girly men.

Could you post more pics of the action and mounts? Is that perhaps single square bridge?
    Frodo likes this.

MSL
    Rigby stalking rifle on order?
    Frodo and Sarvo like this.

You should get it chopped and suppressor added while its away getting reblued
    Shootm, Savage1, kiwijames and 9 others like this.
    #30GANG....

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    You should get it chopped and suppressor added while its away getting reblued
    Just no bloody class at all :-(
    Then call it a "bush Pig" I suppose
    Got-ya and Frodo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Rigby stalking rifle on order?
    Or one of the other English makers. Be a few years of hard saving, though.

@Pew-Pew

Here are some pics I took a few weeks before sending the rifle away to be refinished. It was already in really good nick as you can tell. Had about 45-50 days total in the field. Always waxed and oiled.

The scope bases in the pics are the old standard Conetrol bases. I've since upgraded to their fluted bases.

Front base is extended slightly (by design) to accomodate scopes with limited mounting space.

I'll post some more photos once I get the rifle back in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Bloody nice rifle @Frodo , I had a couple rifles with Kevin’s Stocks he did really nice work and a top bloke as well.
    Can you give any tips on waxing etc for protecting bluing/steel when out hunting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Bloody nice rifle @Frodo , I had a couple rifles with Kevinís Stocks he did really nice work and a top bloke as well.
    Can you give any tips on waxing etc for protecting bluing/steel when out hunting ?
    Leave it at home and take a "shiter"

Decided to hang onto it.

Been looking at Rigby's and Mausers, but most of the 'cheaper' ones (if you can call it that) have quite plain wood. Be $14k plus for something 2nd hand with nice wood. :/ One day...

As for protecting wood/blue @Lucky - keep the metal waxed with something that doesn't leave sticky residue (Renaissance wax is good).

On rainy days, wax will prevent any rust from developing. Every night, take the barrelled action out of the stock, dry it, and re-apply a thin layer of wax. Takes about 10 minutes.

In rain, have the chamber closed on an empty case. This will stop any water running into the bore from the action end. Have the muzzle taped up.

Don't use gun oil on the metal, as it'll run off and seep into your stock in heavy rain. It also attracts dust and grime and it's just flat out messy in general.

As for protecting wood - a scabbard of some kind, attached to your pack for transporting the rifle in. Put the rifle inside it when youre in the rough stuff or need both hands free...and then when you're ready to slow right down and commence stalking, take the rifle out and enjoy it.

Most damage to a rifle will occur when navigating rough ground, i.e you're climbing over things and not in a position to shoot anything anyway. And if you're in an area you suspect there are animals, you'll generally be moving very slowly. Or, if you're on the tops, animals will usually be far enough away for you to take your rifle out of its scabbard without being detected.

Other than that...just common sense? Not using it as a walking stick; not dropping it; not laying it down on rocks. It sounds difficult over the internet, but it's a piece of cake in the field.

If you're only hunting recreationally, it's easy to take care of a wood/blue rifle. All this talk about it being hard/impossible is bullshit.

If you need a professional 'working' tool, where time = $$, or if you can't be fussed looking after something, stainless/synthetic rules. But personally, I get no joy out of plastic and stainless, and recreational hunting for me is all about the enjoyment.

Talk to some of the gun builders making bespoke $20k + firearms. Most will say they want their rifles to be used and worn-in. I think many gunsmiths would be depressed to know the rifle they spent all that time trying to get perfectly balanced and nice to hold, is just sitting in a safe somewhere.