Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Good reliable quad for hunting and lifestyle block

Good reliable quad for hunting and lifestyle block

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there has a spare quad they’re looking to sell. Kitted for hunting and with a winch would be a bonus. 4wd, minimum 350 cc. Must be in South Island. Honda preferred but also look at canam or Yamaha. Thanks
    PM me if preferred. I’m based near Christchurch.

Forgotten but not gone
    dont get one that has been used on a dairy farm. Frame rot will be happening.
    Be more involved and less impressed.

Or a beach. Or on a muddy beef or sheep block for that matter. Bloody things have disprins cast into the metal I reckon... On the other hand, I'm interested to see opinions of what actually is a 'good, reliable quad'. Bloody things are forever needing something fixed on them!

I would second the Honda brand choice, not so sure about Canam - the BIL had one that was not worth the sticker price. Ended up swapping it back with the dealer at a slight loss, even the dealer wasn't impressed with how it went and was a little embarrassed I think. No experience directly of Yamaha which is to say the only time I've been around them they did what they say on the label.

Yamaha fan boy here, Had experience with 550 Grizzly and Kodiak 450 and 700's. 550 and 700's are a bit thirsty on fuel but very reliable if looked after. However best avoid the 2016-2018 700's with the 708cc engine. Most will have been rebuilt under warranty but on mine it still burnt oil afterwards. No problems with the 686cc engine.

550s can feel a bit tippy if used to a honda as they have a short wheelbase and you tend to sit high on them.

I'd give the Canams a miss if buying used.

I've got a 500cc Suzuki king quad that have had a good run from, find them a but soft in the back though when wanting to carry weight, think a solid rear end is better for hunting, lose too much ground clearance with wishbone suspension carrying loads, not offering for sale just more info and free bump for the thread
    bigbear and hunter Al.7mm08 like this.

I think this meets almost all of your specified requirements... apart from brands... and maybe budget...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3651535115
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    I think this meets almost all of your specified requirements... apart from brands... and maybe budget...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3651535115
    Sorry forgot to add… needs to fit on a 8x5 trailer. Cheers
    yeah_na_missed likes this.

Whats your max budget????

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    I've got a 500cc Suzuki king quad that have had a good run from, find them a but soft in the back though when wanting to carry weight, think a solid rear end is better for hunting, lose too much ground clearance with wishbone suspension carrying loads, not offering for sale just more info and free bump for the thread
    I lean the other way. I have a honda 420 thats just gone and gone and gone for 12 years with bugger all done to it. Used almost every day on a beef farm. It has independent suspension all 4 corners. Very comfy.

This roar past I got to ride a new honda 500 with solid rear end in some pretty hairy country that I knew mine would have been fine on. Lost traction several times just when I needed that traction.
    If you need to tow heavy loads, yes a solid rear end would be better (or a 4x4!!!), but if you need traction above all else, you need those 4 corners doing their own thing grabbing what traction they can.

The 420 is also a small bike depending on your size I looked at one just thinking the motor was smaller the bike was far to small for me ended up with a 500 king quad which has being faultless it is on the larger side though but an absolute power house

Yep had a TRX500 with solid back end. Went to a king quad and won’t buy anything else. Reliable, good grunt, comfortable and the autos on them are fantastic. I’d stick with Honda or suzuki for reliability.
    tetawa, Monk, Mathias and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by matagouri View Post
    Whats your max budget????
    Ideally don’t want to spend over $5k. Not something I’ll be using every day… the odd hunt and a few bits and pieces around home.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I lean the other way. I have a honda 420 thats just gone and gone and gone for 12 years with bugger all done to it. Used almost every day on a beef farm. It has independent suspension all 4 corners. Very comfy.

This roar past I got to ride a new honda 500 with solid rear end in some pretty hairy country that I knew mine would have been fine on. Lost traction several times just when I needed that traction.
    If you need to tow heavy loads, yes a solid rear end would be better (or a 4x4!!!), but if you need traction above all else, you need those 4 corners doing their own thing grabbing what traction they can.
    I agree with what you say about grip and comfort, where I hunt has a lot of rock and ground clearance becomes the priority, low roll over/grip loss risk, just get hung up on rocks a lot more than the solid axle version my mate has, it's OK when you can put wheels on rocks rather than try to clear them but not always an option

Had TRX300's for 30 years, mainly hunting plus lifestyle block. Found them all I need. Other than been self-serviced, never been touched.
    Shootm and 7mmwsm like this.

Had my TRX420 for a couple years now and really like it for what I do. Enough grunt for the job but small and nimble enough to lift and get around tight places etc. I put larger tyres on then normal to get more ground clearance too. Power steering is magic. Sorry not for sale, just my needless 2c.
    tetawa and Kopua Cowboy like this.