Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GPS for a noob

GPS for a noob

Hey all im looking into getting myself setup soon with a GPS unit that would suite my budget and my needs,eg amount of times ill use it etc ...
    Ive been looking at a "Garmin eTrex 10" can source one brand new $97 ... any reviews or ideas on others that may suite ,ive heard you can download doc maps etc into them ,can this be done with the one im looking into ? ...and does anyone have any units lying around they wanna part with possibly ?

Sean

Id recommend any of the 62 series, Im very happy with mine i looked at all the others and wanted a 62s but found a GPSMAP62 for $200 2nd hand and it gets used heaps. Has full NZ Open project topos loaded and street maps and i also loaded linz 1:50k maps for the areas i hunt.

seriously get a dakota 20 from USA. $200. NZ open project maps, use it as car GPS, tramping, hunting etc and you'll never look back.

I've got the Garmin etrex 10.
    It always gets a lock but that's all its really good for. It doesn't know which way is north unless you are walking in a straight line; it will have you walking in circles if you try use it without a compass. I use my compass for a bearing and if I'm heading to a waypoint, I'll use the GPS to show me where I am in relation to it so I can make the bearing with my compass. Battery lasts quite a long time. I like to have it on autotrack so I can cut back on myself if I get in the shit (supplejack, usually) and I want to go back home the way I came in.

Getting a lock and being able to mark way points is WELL worth $100. Just know that there are a lot better ones out there. Aside from the fact that I can't afford anything more, I like the way the etrex 10 forces me to stay up to scratch with my compass work, which is something to consider.

You can't load those maps on to the etrex 10. I have to pull out my map when I take coordinates from it. A bit time consuming but ah well.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    You should look out for a second hand Garmin CSX60. They are about 10 - 12 years old now but that would be all you would ever need
    mucko likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    I use a Etrex (no map)- makes your learn the other skills as well as the others said

Other than that a Garmin 62 series is a good choice for a mapping gps unit

If you are thinking of getting a mapping unit, maybe wait until you can afford that - otherwise you're buying twice

Get an etrex H if you can find one, they have dual satellite recievers (USA and Russian) unlike all the others which just have the USA one built in. If you want something a bit fancier go with a 62s the satellite over lay is pretty cool.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    mucko and SIKAHUNTER like this.

Dan
    If you have a smartphone, download the "Backcountry Navigator" app for $13. Gives you the whole nz Topo-50 map and most newish phones have a pretty grunty GPS. I carry my phone in a waterproof passport bag which the screen still works thru and it never lets me down
    seano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    You should look out for a second hand Garmin CSX60. They are about 10 - 12 years old now but that would be all you would ever need
    +1 i have the Garmin 60CSx.........its the 'mutts nuts'.....you should be able to get one 'pre loved' off trade me, that how i got mine, kissed the fuker many times when ive got back to camp/car/bivvy ect............
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Etrex 20 from KiwiGPS. He will put an open source map on it for the price of the memory card. They have the same aerial as the CSX60's but can access the European satellite network un-like the 60csx. You should always carry and use a manual compass anyway because they don’t run out of batteries. A smart phone maybe good but again the battery thing may cause issues if you get stuck out for longer than you anticipate or if you're on extended trips.
    Scouser and seano like this.

Thanks for the imput so far ,ive been having a look on the net at diff models etc you have been recommending ,think im going to go for the type with downloadable maps etc,to insure I wont get lost (fingers crossed)so many makes n models im kinda going around in circles lol,but is keeping me busy on this snowy canterbury morning..will keep looking around on trade me ... wonder if anyone does H.P ?

There is at least one of these on Trademe. Taken from the site just now
    Name:  Garmin.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  177.0 KB
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Etrex 20 from KiwiGPS. He will put an open source map on it for the price of the memory card. They have the same aerial as the CSX60's but can access the European satellite network un-like the 60csx. You should always carry and use a manual compass anyway because they don’t run out of batteries. A smart phone maybe good but again the battery thing may cause issues if you get stuck out for longer than you anticipate or if you're on extended trips.
    I like the look of unit and price ..also he is in chch
    ...Keeps browsing the net

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    There is at least one of these on Trademe. Taken from the site just now
    Attachment 11247
    Yes seen this unit also ,and good price compared to retail ....... but I think my wife will skin me alive if I walked in the house with it (not that I can afford that at the moment .. id have put away some money each week) .. Im guessing wifey would say well plot a course for TimBukTu Pal !!!

I totally understand the need to placate the minister of financial affairs (her indoors). Seriously though that is a good deal and this is the sort of unit I would encourage you toward. It will last a lifetime as they are as rugged as hell. Good luck