Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Help wanted to get firearms parts to Australia

Ive been having a bit of a saga getting some firearm parts to Australia !!!
    Makes you feel like a bit of a criminal when you start digging into the details ... it seems like the powers that be just don't want private individules to own sporting weapons ... anyway finally got a firm price from the only exporters I could find who would freight ( barrel, bolt, magazine only ! No receiver and 100% sporting weapon ) it for me $1379 plus gst ... thats $1585 total freight and the parts are only worth $1500 NZ anyway.

Does anyone on the forum have any experiance with getting firearm parts to Australia or are there any members who regularly travel there for work or play and bring firearm related items too and fro ?
    How is it done ?

Im sure we could make some kind of $ arrangement that would compensate for any additional costs and time incolved.
    Or South Island alpine hunt for a North Islander ...that sort of thing.

Any and all input appreciated.

Forgot to mention that have all paperwork required to import into Australia.
    No export permit required from NZ .

Cheers

Why not use NZ Post? After all they are just tool parts and not hazardous.

I had this issue a few years back with a K98 mauser and in all honesty I would never bother again. Freight was a nightmare. Customs was worse. As it was a complete firearm it had to travel in a "Locked" case. However, it had to travel UNLOCKED so customs could inspect it......There was so much to and fro where one person did not know what the other required. It was the biggest waste of time I have ever dealt with. Carrying one across the ditch and getting it permitted / inspected etc was actually cheaper. Take a week off, book some cheap flights and have a weekend off or better still

Ask yourself is it worth it? The answer is more than likely a huge NO.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I had this issue a few years back with a K98 mauser and in all honesty I would never bother again. Freight was a nightmare. Customs was worse. As it was a complete firearm it had to travel in a "Locked" case. However, it had to travel UNLOCKED so customs could inspect it......There was so much to and fro where one person did not know what the other required. It was the biggest waste of time I have ever dealt with. Carrying one across the ditch and getting it permitted / inspected etc was actually cheaper. Take a week off, book some cheap flights and have a weekend off or better still

Ask yourself is it worth it? The answer is more than likely a huge NO.
    This sounds like the best advise. Even if you can't afford a week off you can maybe pick up a cheap flight get the guy to meet you at the airport and fly straight back. You then don't lose wage money etc and it's cheaper than sending it and less hasely