Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: hmmmmm rifle-go-round

hmmmmm rifle-go-round

It has come to my attention that certain members on here seem to swap rifles,often at a loss, at an alarming rate of frequency .....
    there seems to be 3-4 fellas who always have a new toy or one for sale.
    it is a sad situation seeing all that hard earned $$$$ being lost in the pursuit of perfection,or something that fits better,or shoots straighter etc etc.

my crazy mind just came up with whacky out there solution.

IF say half a dozen of the so inflicted all have a rifle scope etc etc etc the ycould do a say 6 weekly swap...everyone passes what they have onto next in line...after 36 weeks thier own rifle would end up back in home where it belonged,hopefully with very few dings or scapes but in return the loaners would have experienced some tootoo time with diferent options.
    so you could have just for arguments sake

a braked magnum(7mm mag?)

a really short suppressed lightweight bush type rifle (308?)

lightweight long barreled tops rifle (.270---.280)

varmit rifle heavy barreld laminate stocked (22-250??)

lightweight walk around varmit rifle (one of wingmans short .22 centrfires??)

plain jane boring accurate wood n blue do everything (.308---270---7mm08??)

youth/ladies/slightly built persons rifle,short tock low recoil (.243?)

totally impracticle unless lot of trust involved...but watching guys go through the journey only to end up where they started is painful....
    tetawa, Woody, akaroa1 and 9 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

They're called gun renters !
    Micky Duck likes this.

#DANNYCENT

@Micky Duck you seem to be labouring under the illusion that they hunt

Theres a couple of wheeler and dealers on here,buy cheap and sell for profit.
    rugerman and tikka6.5 like this.

That sounds far too practical haha you'll find most of us have 1 or 2... Or10 rifles we can pull out and go hunting with and we are just mucking round wasting money having fu, that covers me atleast
    Moa Hunter, bigluke and Scotty C like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    It has come to my attention that certain members on here seem to swap rifles,often at a loss
    Some with a gain.

But seriously, this could be an interesting initiative.

I have many rifles in the safe, but there is that one rifle that gets used 90% of the time.

Have fluffed around a bit with buying and selling. But bear in mind that's not the end of it. There are subsequent actions needed before I could go hunting with a new swap: Thread the muzzle, bore the bush, fit a suppressor, find a scope, find lowest fitting rings, develop a load, sight it in ...................

All of that was not really necessary as I already have something that works.

The time could have been spent on hunting and the money could have been spent on petrol. I probably would have got a deer by now.

GWH
    I just make sure I have at least one of each of your list in my safe, then I never get bored, and if I do I just reach to the back of the safe and pull out one I haven't used for a while.

The only reason I see to sell a rifle is if it's not accurate.

There certainly does seem to be a lot of swapping around chasing the perfect rifle. Only to end up where they started.
    6x47 and Micky Duck like this.

I have no idea who use could be talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caretaker
    A “ forum rifle design” was tabled 20 years ago…….

It would have the ability to swap barrels and bolt heads

Three action sizes

Guys could have swapped bolt heads and barrels as much as they wanted

We thrashed the idea out.

The rifles made it through the planning stage but were never built due to difficulty collecting all the funds to secure their builds.
    300CALMAN and Micky Duck like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

ok I'll bite.....dunno about anyone else but I definitely hunt and hunt a lot, I provide for my family, my parents and a few friends as well, haven't had to buy red meat in a couple years now so i think I do ok on that front.
    From my personal journey and I am only speaking for myself I bought and sold a fair few lovely rifles as I wanted to try them all and convinced myself I needed to...
    In reality I didn't need to but also being a family man with young kids and a mortgage I couldn't afford to keep them all as much as I would have loved to.
    I have in reality come full circle and was fortunate enough to buy back "the one" a rifle that holds a lot of sentimental value to me, not everyone is that lucky but I can assure you as long as I hold a FAL that rifle will not leave my possession ever again.
    Do I regret my journey ? not even a tiny bit, I have learnt so much about loading for different calibres, hunting and shooting technique. I was not fortunate enough to grow up in a hunting family and my first real experience with hunting and firearms was in my late 30's, I am almost 42 now and have progressed from a complete novice who wouldn't know how to find deer or even take a shot at 100y to an extremely competent hunter and medium to long range shooter. I have proven my shooting skill in the field time and time again all thanks to this place and those who have been generous enough to reach out and help me.
    The other side of it is some (not me) just don't have the sentimental attachment to what they consider a "tool" and are happy to chop and change and try different setups as there whims take them (good on them).
    I have definitely settled into my own style of hunting and have refined a lot of my gear focusing on that style.
    I can understand how it might look to others but in reality if it isn't hurting you why does it matter ?
    Yet another angle on it is if nothing else it creates commerce on this site I have been on the giving end selling good gear at very reasonable prices and also on the receiving end of some cracking deals through this site buying, selling and trading with like minded enthusiasts. I have also made some life long friends and created memories that will keep me and those around me entertained even when I am far too old to go hunting anymore.
    Sure maybe some are keyboard hunters, some maybe aren't as fortunate to have access to very productive private land, some don't have the time to put into researching an area with the constraints of trying to make ends meet or meet family needs. I think alluding that those partaking in the great rifle merry go round don't hunt is quite insensitive, a bit arrogant and miss led. More likely they are one of the other demographics I mentioned time poor, resource poor or both or something completely different.
    I mean no disrespect to anyone commenting on this just maybe trying to open up that there are many other perspectives and motivations behind why people buy and sell gear.
    and no @Micky Duck I would never loan out my "one" not to anyone, so you are outta luck my friend
    Maca49, Woody, Micky Duck and 6 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Mr Dannyb if you already hold the one why are you pleading with me to sell you my one( the onlyone)
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Fog View Post
    Mr Dannyb if you already hold the one why are you pleading with me to sell you my one( the onlyone)
    I have "the one" and that is my main go to hunting rifle....that's not to say there aren't other rifles I desire to own (I'm only human)....I own other rifles that hold no significant sentimental value to me and every chance some of them may go on the merry go round but then again maybe not.
    You made it very clear you intended to go through with the purchase of that particular rifle and no issue there, at the time you seemed a bit non plussed about the purchase and I offered you a way out as that is a rifle I would like to add to the stable but there will be others
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

You're thinking too practically, this proposed Library will need the newest books @micky_Duck

It would need 6.5 PRC, 7 PRC, 6 ARC a range of big booter rifles such as an H&H of some sort, probably a win mag or two, some exotics maybe a 416 barret or Rigby, at least one creedmoor variant be it 6 or 22 or 7.

AR platform rimfires even? The firearms that many of us are curious about but can't afford to own one without sacrificing another.

What else do people like playing with? Short barrel WSM?

I'm of a similar mindset to @dannyb where I have 1 that I don't think I could ever sell but the rest at this stage may come or go and there are certainly more I would like to play with or even own.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

@dannyb I guess that's a good way to learn if you are a late starter

Some of us started in our early teens and have vastly less choice
    Which I guess was a good thing
    Being left handed vastly less of vastly less

So in hind sight a good thing being left handed and starting shooting nearly 50 years ago

And I went through the same progression over a longer time
    Stage 1 any LH bolt action I could find
    Stage 2 any LH Sako I could find
    Stage 3 a hoard of Blaser R93s
    Stage 4 a K95 aka the one to rule them all
    Stage 5 sell down the modern rifles while still modern
    Stage 6 the great leap backwards into older and older rifle restoration
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.