Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Howa 1500 Mini Action Stock

Howa 1500 Mini Action Stock

Required for "project"!

Thanks,

Grendel?

I'm about to take to mine with the biggest rasp I have and knock it in half, currently its like a 6x2, hopefully by the time I'm done it'll be 3x1 1/2!! See this one, best slimming job I've seen on one. Let's Test the Howa Mini: - Page 2 - Guns, Loads, Optics and Gear for Varmint Hunting - The Varminter Forums

Cheers

They're a surprisingly chunky stock alright.

Can I suggest also cutting the mag-release lever right down before you lose the mag? They're way too easy to bump.

Pretty hand to get after market stocks now id love to get rid of my plastic fantastic off my howa mini but due to lack of funding and supply I need it still otherwise id gladly sett it to you

Try Geoff at www.thegunrack.co.nz he's an agent for Boyds, does pretty damn good pricing

Interesting article @Tentman. Weight is the issue so the Boyds might not fit the bill.

But I agree that his prices are very good :-)

Well mine has now gone from 985 grams to 905 after coarse shaping and it feels much nicer - it taint ever gonna be slim but at least it now feels "kind" in the hand. The fore-end is to long but I don't want to cut it cause it'll leave a hole.

I know everyone raves about Sako Vixens but I never liked the stock on them, particularly to carry in the hand, which is where a nice light rifle spends 99.5% of its time. I was always too pecunious to take a rasp to the couple I've owned over the years.

I'd say my Howa stock now feels a better shape to me than the Sako's ever did (but a hell of a lot rougher!)

See Search results for: 'howa' - he has a mini inlet in a thumhole but I bet He could also do them in other styles. My Mini is going to be aprkerised and live in a tub so a plastic stock is somewhat appropriate otherwise I'd be contacting Hatcher myself.

@stug?

Am waiting for a reasonable floor plate option and for the stainless thin barrel version to come out in the grendel....

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    gimp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    Try Geoff at www.thegunrack.co.nz he's an agent for Boyds, does pretty damn good pricing
    Yep planning to do that when funds allow

Yes, he's top of my list for folks to bother but I know he's a bit busy just now!

Yep did a Howa mini in a Rem Model 7 stock which has worked out well. Tried to do a blind magazine but couldn't get it to feed right so had to go with the stupid floor plate.
    Have done another one in a Sako 75 stock, but the stock is a bit big. A CZ 527 might be a nice fit too.
    Wildman likes this.

The Howa mini action doesn't seem to have any feed lips machined into the receiver rails, it looks like it is solely dependent on the detachable magazine lips to feed. However I have a Savage 223 with a blind mag here and it occurs to me that maybe the "centre feed" mag box from it might be adaptable to the Howa. Haven't got time to play right now but will take them to bits tonight.
    Wildman likes this.

The Howa mini is also set up for centre feed. I was trying to make a staggered feedbox with feed lips, but the rounds coming in from the side would hit the side of the feed ramp and not feed. You could possibly alter the sides of the feed ramp to get clearance.
    The other issue with a blindmag is trying to get the rounds into the mag from the top, very little space to work with and quite fiddly.