Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Hunting Necessities

Lightbulb Hunting Necessities

Hi, I'm 17 and new to hunting, I have a rifle, jacket, and boots. I'm after a gps, pack, small tent and maybe a range finder. Also if anyone can recommend anything else I may require that would be great. I have a bit of money but being 17 I don't have a lot so cheap is good. And also I'm located im Wellington and if anyone could recommend some good spots, I have permits for most of the doc land and a 4wd so can access those tricky spots. Thanks

What sort of country are you intending on hunting? Different gear suits different applications

Bahco knife from CRT/Farmlands or Bunnings will get you thru (~$10)

You don't "need" a GPS, get a compass and print maps off topomaps.co.nz

Decent sleeping bag, if you plan on camping out, which you are looking for a small tent etc.

Bino's are pretty handy.

Few wee things off the top of my head...
    puku, veitnamcam, Dougie and 1 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Hay rob if I was you I would invest in sunscreen as you burn like a bitch. Hahahaha

Good coat or jacket?

If your on a budget the safety stores usually have something which will keep you dry if your not moving too much and sweating.

If you don't have a good jacket for heavy rain, take a black rubbish bag and cut holes for arms and head. It won't breath like modern materials but will keep you drier
    DanS likes this.

This is your friend and worst enemy. http://www.macpac.co.nz/clearance
    madmaori likes this.

Probably your best investment would be the annual subscription to your local branch of NZ Deerstalkers Assn.
    mikee, HNTMAD, DanS and 1 others like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Time is probably the only necessity I am needing at present.
    199p and BRADS like this.
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

You don't need a GPS or Range Finder, cool gadgets but not completely necessary. As Joshc said Learn how to use a map and compass, much better skill to have. Shop around for a decent pack, one that will hold a seriously heavy load, My Pack is a 90 Litre, the size is there if I want it, but I always tighten the straps to compress it small.

Oh and there are no Deer around Upper Hutt
    Dougie, HNTMAD, Blue Arrow and 1 others like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Ejected
    Awesome to see a warm welcome.

If you're patient, wait for some of these people to sell some of their gear, some of these people have great bits of kit and are very generous with their prices. @BRADS springs to mind
    Pengy likes this.

Good binoculars are an essential item mate.

You just wont see as many deer with the naked eye

I have pair of gaiters you can have, still in the wrapper....came with a new pair of Andrew boots I bought yesty.
    PM me your postal address and I'll send them

B
    Philipo, puku, 7mmsaum and 16 others like this.

I've got a couple of day packs and a warm jacket to go. PM me about the prices, we can sort something out for you.

The photos are here: http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...nd-vest-18343/

Also got a couple of non-mapping Garmin GPS to give away. But learn to read a map and use a compass. Mountain Safety Council use to run evening course on this, and the local tramping club or NZDA will see you right too.

You should learn to do the map/compass thing, if you don't know already.

Got a smart phone?
    If so, you can get a Topographical map/GPS app called Topo Map NZ for your android phone from the app store.
    It's about $10 and will give you a maps of the whole country down to a 1:50,000 scale.

Two tricks to using it:
    One - Preload the map of the area you intend to go hunting in while you still have internet access (i.e. at home with wifi) otherwise you won't be able to see the map just your co-ords.
    When you have viewed the map of an area once your phone should store it, so you should only have to do it once for each new area.

Two - While in the bush turn on flight mode, you will lose the ability to call but your phone's GPS will still work and your phone's battery will last heaps longer.
    JRW87, screamO and Robert like this.