Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 3 Post By Spook
  • 2 Post By Spook

Thread: Hunting Scraps

Hunting Scraps

Hello,
    I feed my dogs and cats a raw diet, this is completely safe.
    I am wondering if any hunters have scraps from their kills such as organs (heart, lung/trachea, liver, spleen, testicles, ovaries, kidney) or other scraps like legs or ears. I will take whole carcasses also. Willing to take any and all scraps for free or small payment. I will also take any old freezer burnt kills can be up to 5 years old if stored properly would prefer freezer burnt meats for free but will pay a small fee.

Located in Palmerston North so has to be around this area.

please contact me at: cassidy_eileen_macdonald@hotmail.com

hi we now feed our dogs raw meat as well after all dogs are not really designed to eat cooked meat.... they don't have stoves in the wild.... I have noticed a very big difference in our to dogs as well for the better good on you for asking on here and you may get some help

however the issue is most (NOT ALL) hunters walk for hours so when they kill something they tend to bone it out in the bush and take the good eating meat and leave the rest due to weight issues

you should also contact your local homekill butcher as they take the hole beast back to the shop to deal with it so all the scraps bones etc are normally gettable at a small cost

Hey @Cassidy95
    I feed my lab pup and cockerspaniel a diet goat meat and tux. Basically any meat wild game is fine to feed dogs but not on its own. Better to alternate between dog biscuits and raw meat regularly. I would not feed them liver as its what filters any harmfull substances so not worth the risk. Kidney, liver, tongue, ear and heart is all good. I would advise you to hit up some local hunters and offer them $15 or $20 a for wild goats and I'm sure they will deliver.
    Best of luck
    If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of food.

Raw goat and mutton is a no no for dogs. Causes sheep measles. A cyst which grows in the muscles of sheep and is a threat to our sheep meat industry.
    Check out Mighty Mix. A manufactured dog food which is very cost effective and exceptionally good feed value. There have been a few threads on this forum which contain info on it.
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Raw goat and mutton is a no no for dogs. Causes sheep measles. A cyst which grows in the muscles of sheep and is a threat to our sheep meat industry.
    Check out Mighty Mix. A manufactured dog food which is very cost effective and exceptionally good feed value. There have been a few threads on this forum which contain info on it.
    Freezing of raw goat and mutton for ten days at below -10 degrees removes the risk of cysts totally.
    veitnamcam, Gibo and possummatti like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

SiB
    Freeze the meat in proportioned bags. Yes give to the dogs frozen. They slow down and chew I stead of inhaling. And yes supplement with mighty mix. Awesome value and the best biscuit I've found.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Freeze the meat in proportioned bags. Yes give to the dogs frozen. They slow down and chew I stead of inhaling. And yes supplement with mighty mix. Awesome value and the best biscuit I've found.
    Feeding of frozen meat, continually will fuck their teeth, especially in older dogs...inhaling of food will fuck their lungs.
    Gibo and possummatti like this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Freezing of raw goat and mutton for ten days at below -10 degrees removes the risk of cysts totally.
    So does cooking. But it also depletes some of the vitamins.
    The frozen Mighty Mix is better than the dry biscuit.