Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HuntGatherRepeat

Thread: Importation of Ammunition

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!

Importation of Ammunition

I don't really know where to post this thread, but anyway.

I'm wanting to purchase from America, and import some firearm (rifle) cartridges for my collection. Now, the law is clear cut, I need an export permit from the States, however, it's less clear this end as to whether I need an import permit or, whether I (Joe bloggs, with an 'A' Cat licence) can just import 'willy nilly' or, whether the Arms Act 1983 is very un-forthcoming regarding information about it because I simply can't import it at all?

I'm mindful some years ago whereby I checked with the Arms Officer and they said that no permit was required to import ammunition into NZ. I then rang NZ Customs who informed me that, if they intercepted my package of ammo they'd seize it, until I could prove to them that I was allowed to have it (just rifle cartridges, some dummy rounds but mostly live ammunition) I then rang the Arms Officer again to see whether or not they'd provide NZ Customs with such a letter (written on a Police Letterhead, as requested) stating that I was allowed to import and posses it and they said "no", "as there is no law preventing the importation of live ammunition"

I'm rather loathe to have some $1,500 or more worth of ammo tied up in Customs that I can never get my hands on because of some 'bureaucratic technicality', if you know what I mean?

Your experience and advice in this field would be greatly appreciated.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

Get in touch with Police HQ, preferably by email, then you have written evidence for Customs. Send the email to Customs before you import. Hopefully then all bases covered.

I imported some firearms a few years ago. Just got a letter from my arms officer with the details and attached a copy to the customs form. Flew right through customs. Did have to pick them up in person but that was easy enough.

There is nothing in the customs fact sheet about ammunition import
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...sheet%2005.pdf

Various members of the New Zealand Cartridge Collectors Club have done recent imports. Perhaps contact them via their website?

New Zealand Cartridge Collectors Club (NZCCC)
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Various members of the New Zealand Cartridge Collectors Club have done recent imports. Perhaps contact them via their website?

New Zealand Cartridge Collectors Club (NZCCC)
    Thanks you guys for your advice. I am actually a member of the NZCCC and won some cartridges at the recent Auction held in Tokaroa earlier this month, however, I didn't know some members had done recent imports, might be worth asking alright, thanks.

I think you will find that importing without you having gone to the USA to collect them will be a big pain in the butt. Theres been at least one club member gone to the States this year collecting , but to import via shipping agent and with all the paperwork will make those cartridges super expensive landed here

Good luck
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    I think you will find that importing without you having gone to the USA to collect them will be a big pain in the butt. Theres been at least one club member gone to the States this year collecting , but to import via shipping agent and with all the paperwork will make those cartridges super expensive landed here

Good luck
    I've just found out you're so right. I'm better off buying 20 round packets of ammo over here, just for one round, than trying to import live stuff.