Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Knife sharpening help wanted Dunedin

Knife sharpening help wanted Dunedin

Gday Iím looking for someone in Dunedin that knows there way around a sharpening stone and steel. I have a rough idea what im doing but can never get as sharp as I know it can be looking for a butcher or someone who might take some me time to show me hope Iím not asking to much!
    Cody

Have a look online mate rural delivery had meet works do a good demo not sure if ull be able to find it. If you have access to a welder buil a stone stand do some google research there should be heeps of vids out there and remember different tecs for different types of edge say a boning skinning ect

Rock on up to you local meat works on a Friday at knock off with a box of beers and see who has a few hours free over the weekend although have heard that recently the meat works just use set angle sharpeners like the magnetic ones you stick on your fridge....

Buy your self a lanksky set
    Micky Duck likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Rock on up to you local meat works on a Friday at knock off with a box of beers and see who has a few hours free over the weekend although have heard that recently the meat works just use set angle sharpeners like the magnetic ones you stick on your fridge....
    I work in quite a few "works" and have not seen much other than stones and steels. Some guys use these though
    The Universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn't a search for meaning. It's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually, you'll be dead. -Mr Peanutbutter

MSL
    Large diameter wet stone wheel was all I used when at the works, as well as a steel obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I work in quite a few "works" and have not seen much other than stones and steels. Some guys use these though
    Those help to keep an edge on your blade during a run and take the feather off your blade. They will not bring a blunt knife sharp again.
    Liberty or Death

Will stand corrected.... Was a young guy that I was talking with, I got the feeling that the settable was easier therefore he used it. Was similar to the above picture

What sort of stone are you using @Cody.a ?

There is no big secret to sharpening with a stone. Just get the angle right and be consistent and you will end up with a sharp knife. Plenty of tutorials on YouTube. I always strop with compound and this makes a big difference, although I don't take it super fine with the stone. Maybe like 4k.

A good trick to make sure you are getting the angle correct is to colour the bevel with a sharpie. Run a couple of strokes, if the angle is correct all the sharpie will be gone. If you are to low or high there will be sharpie left on one half.

Once you get a couple sorted it becomes second nature.

If you are going to get a stone I recommend a diamond stone double sided with two grits, fine and medium, as it will never dish, will set you back a couple of hundred though.

In the interim if you want your knives really sharp I can do it, I charge $5 for a toothy edge (which is 1400 grit and set at 18 degrees per side) and $7.50 for a polished edge (which is 60,000 grit and set at 20 degrees per side-although I can adjust the angle if you like).

You pay postage and I am in Auckland, takes me a day or so to do, if you are not happy with the edge you don’t pay.
    Micky Duck and FatLabrador like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody.a View Post
    I have a rough idea what im doing but can never get as sharp as I know it can be
    What is the knife, what steel type?

It’s a long shot but in Omakau there is a Bladesmith called Peter Lorimer, if you talk to him there is a vague possibility that he may show you the basics, that would increase dramatically if you purchased one of his kitchen knives and then asked him to show you how to sharpen it.

+1 on the basic lansky 3 stone kit it won't get knives shaving sharp but for the money combined with a standard steel it does a decent job in minimal time, and minimal skill needed. I used to use an oil stone and it was OK but the lansky is far easier. There are even cheap knockoffs on aliexpress. I would buy the cclamp too. It might seem like a big expenditure but it saves a lot of faffing around, some guys will use a leather strop and stropping compound etc and get their knives scary sharp but life is too short to waste time shagging about endlessly with knives. All you really need is a knife that is adequately sharp. Check out the youtube videos on how to use it
    https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...ky/-LKCO3.html
    https://www.blademaster.co.nz/shop/S...nsky/-LS4.html
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you want to spend some coin buy a Scarysharp from Geoff. You will never regret it and your knives will always be sharp. You can then charge your mates some
    4 for sharpening and eventually recoup the cost.