Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ubique
  • 1 Post By ubique

Thread: Large Ex- Bank Cash Safe

Large Ex- Bank Cash Safe

Apologies for the re-list but the original one was for 2 x safes, was quite a while ago and became a bit of a novel with all the comments on top of all of my waffle

Picture up front to show what I'm talking about.

Name:  2329.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  344.5 KB

Short story - 1x large safe for sale, looking for $150. Please read the red text. PICKUP ONLY. The safe is good to go- everything is fully functional.
    Long story - see below

I bought two of these in 2018 with the plan to get my E-Cat, however I was obviously overtaken by events. Sold one of them a while ago. As such, this big guy has been taking up a good chunk of my garage for way too long, I'm about sick of the sight of them and the wife really wants it gone.

My initial plan with these was to build a wooden carcass inside with a series of drawers to hold firearms and valuables, was thinking something along the lines of ute bed drawers. With the new requirement for separate storage of P and C cat parts, lockable drawers inside would solve a lot of your (and your mates) problems

According to the guy I bought these off, it was previously used by a bank for cash deposits, or some such, which would explain the deposit slots in the outer door and in the top of the body. I was subsequently informed apparently these are the cash reservoirs for a bank ATM, hence the rail inside. This was bought locked open, with combo unknown, as such I have replaced the locking mech circuit boards with new-old stock set to factory combo (for now.)

The safe has a 12mm steel body, the thinnest external plate I can find is the top plate of the inner door, which is 7mm. As a commercial/ banking grade safe I can also only assume that this is probably going to be relatively high quality steel, if not tool resistant. It can be disassembled into 3 parts for transport- the body and the 2 doors separate. The safe would also be perfectly usable and secure with just the internal door fitted. Inside the external door, there is a cavity almost the full size of the door, approx 140mm deep, which would probably be suitable for storage of parts or bolts etc.

This has two doors, one inside the other, each independently locked with a LaGard 33E high security electronic lock, each lock is protected by multiple fail-closed mechanisms, preventing the door from opening if drilled, tampered with etc. There are also plates/ guards preventing the doors from being lifted off their hinges or opening after someone cut the hinge off.

The doors are also fitted with multiple switches detecting open and close of doors. This was previously wired into a hard-line security system with a dialler, external AC power and a time delay, all of which (except the physical switches) have been removed to make this a stand-alone system. Door switches could easily be wire in again to either switch a light, an alarm or a siren etc.

To make this more secure for use as a gun safe I was looking to weld a bit of plate to block the deposit slip up top but now my metal-worker mate has moved, so the buyer would have to suss this out but shouldn't be hard

I weighed each door holding it and with my combined weight they maxed out my bathroom scales, making them maybe 65kg each. Based on the surface area and thickness of the safe body, my cigarette-packet calcs come back at approx 300kg for the body alone, so total will be around 400-450kg per safe. All dimensions are shown in my crayon drawing (all are taken external, except max internal length). 10 holes in the base for anchors and a small hole in the side for cable penetration

At this point recouping my costs would be good but my priority is to get this out of my garage, after $150. Haven't looked into it but imagine it's probably worth close to that just as scrap. If you were really keen I imagine it would also make a pretty sweet set of gongs, or a firepit or something.

PICKUP ONLY. Cannot emphasise that enough. Pickup is from Upper Hutt, in a garage with good immediate road access. We initially moved it by carrying the doors and rolling the body on broom sticks (like we were building the bloody pyramids). The other one was loaded up onto a crappy little trailer using a portable engine hoist, so was less admin than expected but if it were me, I would go with 3 or 4 guys with an industrial dolly and a solid low ute/ empty van OR a pallet trolley and truck with a tail lift or HIAB.

Not interested in tyre kickers or people who won't turn up when they say they will

Happy to take more photos or field questions. For scale, that's a standard pallet the safe is sitting on

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 435
Size:  184.0 KB

Name:  3.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  192.0 KB

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  424.4 KB

Name:  5.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  321.0 KB

Name:  6.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  317.5 KB
    Moa Hunter likes this.

That would make a sweet ammo safe for me.

Hey mate could I come have a look?
    Go fast, Donít suck

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    That would make a sweet ammo safe for me.
    Holy shit! i am using something similar for my ammo. But it is WAY overkill!!!
    I will be changing to a lockable cabinet that is probably just MDF or something similar.
    Use enough gun

Sure thing, PM sent

@ubique sorry if my post might have put a buyer off.
    It didnt even cross mind.

Bloody mean as B cat safe for anyone keen?
    Use enough gun

@40mm All is good mate.

Agree it's a big beast for just ammo, unless you're a high volume user. One of the ways I was looking at it was having either ammo (depending on quantity, could probably fit a couple of ammo tins in there), bolts/ working parts or even complete pistols in the separate door compartment. An AO would be hard pressed to argue that isn't sufficiently safe (basically inside a 12mm steel sandwich and the deposit slots even provide venting)
    40mm likes this.

Any offers

pm me sat I can help out if my trailer still tilts

Did you receive my PM.