Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By specweapon
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Leather deer carrying belt

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Lower hutt
    Posts
    272

    Leather deer carrying belt

    As title says on the hunt for one of these cheers

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,529
    Can remember someone on YouTube was selling them. Kiwi bushman Josh James or someone

  3. #3
    Member HNTMAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Wairarapa
    Posts
    1,910
    Google Alex gale and he sells them. I looked into making them but they are expensive, stumbled on one on a forum or trademe cheap. Gd luck

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Hamurana, Rotorua
    Posts
    339
    Get a long length of wide nylon webbing (as in old seatbelt) plus a big buckle from a home craft shop. Use a red hot nail to burn holes down the centreline of the length of the webbing, so any adjustment is available. Belt should wrap round your belly twice before bucking in place until needed. It's out of the way until needed and wide webbing makes for comfy carrying.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Kapiti Coast
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Can remember someone on YouTube was selling them. Kiwi bushman Josh James or someone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ0LJWhalqI

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    South
    Posts
    184
    I've heard of people making them out of old seat-belts from the wreckers.

  7. #7
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,363
    Aiden, PM me your address and I will send or deliver a free one to you. Its a seat belt one but they are pretty good.
    Barefoot likes this.

  8. #8
    Member specweapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    1,036
    Don't your deer come with these attached as standard?

    Mine do

    Name:  10708639_853901761301200_5075124671992722785_o.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  363.8 KB
    tetawa likes this.

  9. #9
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,703
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Don't your deer come with these attached as standard?

    Mine do

    Attachment 57496
    Can you carry two of those little buggers at once like that ?

    I did with Alexs leather carrying belt, quite comfy even

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    7,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Aiden, PM me your address and I will send or deliver a free one to you. Its a seat belt one but they are pretty good.
    And the good bugger of the day award goes to....
    Barefoot likes this.

  11. #11
    Member specweapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tasman
    Posts
    1,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Can you carry two of those little buggers at once like that ?

    I did with Alexs leather carrying belt, quite comfy even
    Yes, you can sit one on the front legs, or use them to carry a pack or rifle. And leaving the back legs on gives you 2 handles to steer or move the weight on your back. Although he's got miles more experience than me I don't like the method that josh James uses on his video as the weight hangs too low on your back.

    But the best of all you don't need any strap and its free, just cut the front legs 90% through on the last joint, then slice a 10" long strip of tendon/skin from the front of the leg to act as the strap, poke the front leg through the usual cut in the rear legs

  12. #12
    Terminator Products Kiwi Greg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    5,703
    Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Yes, you can sit one on the front legs, or use them to carry a pack or rifle. And leaving the back legs on gives you 2 handles to steer or move the weight on your back. Although he's got miles more experience than me I don't like the method that josh James uses on his video as the weight hangs too low on your back.

    But the best of all you don't need any strap and its free, just cut the front legs 90% through on the last joint, then slice a 10" long strip of tendon/skin from the front of the leg to act as the strap, poke the front leg through the usual cut in the rear legs
    Yeah carried plenty like that for 30+ years, (must be getting old ) much prefer the carrying strap

    No stupid long neck flopping side to side & not as hard on your shoulders

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Carrying firearms on motorbike
    By JonP in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-01-2015, 03:17 PM
  2. Carrying in parts
    By anderset20 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-07-2014, 11:05 AM
  3. Military Webbing for carrying equipment.
    By johnino in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-06-2014, 10:05 PM
  4. Carrying Water . . . . . what's your prefered method?
    By The Rifleman in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!