Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By Shelley
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: Leather for knife sheath

Leather for knife sheath

Does anyone have any suitable leather around. Just need enough for a sheath for a drop point hunting knife. Cheers

Just make sure its vegetable tanned leather, the other stuff makes your knife go rusty

Either bark tanned "russet" (which is preferable cause it tends to mold a bit better I think) or chrome will do (my D2 knife has lived in a chrome tanned sheath I made nearly 40 years ago when I knew no better).

I have a few bits of both left over from saddle making jobs, PM me your address and I'll send you enough for a sheath. I have fairly light (3mm?) dark brown or undyed russet that is pretty heavy (4-5mm). Either will make a serviceable sheath.

If you can shape it by dipping it in hot paraffin, makes a beaut job of the molding and the leather goes really hard - I have never done it but I know Von Guff (Trinity Knives) does.

Cheers
    Maca49, Husky1600 and Nick-D like this.

Or, if you want a kydex one, I mak kydex sheaths, a small one for a drop point one would cost about $25, easy to make and will never rot, I will need the knife for about two days.
    Shelley 021727546
    Nick-D likes this.

Try Taurus leather in mt eden
    Nick-D likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

@Shelley Cheer for the offer man, $25 is a very reasonable price. I have some kydex, and have made a couple of sleeves for my kitchen knives with it. Just think the leather sheathe will work better with the knifes aesthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Either bark tanned "russet" (which is preferable cause it tends to mold a bit better I think) or chrome will do (my D2 knife has lived in a chrome tanned sheath I made nearly 40 years ago when I knew no better).

I have a few bits of both left over from saddle making jobs, PM me your address and I'll send you enough for a sheath. I have fairly light (3mm?) dark brown or undyed russet that is pretty heavy (4-5mm). Either will make a serviceable sheath.

If you can shape it by dipping it in hot paraffin, makes a beaut job of the molding and the leather goes really hard - I have never done it but I know Von Guff (Trinity Knives) does.

Cheers
    Top man, PM sent.