Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By res
  • 1 Post By omark
  • 1 Post By scottrods

Thread: Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine FS

Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine FS

Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine No5 Mk1 ROF(F)
    Fairy good condition for age
    Serial U3228

Any info on where this may have served greatly appreciated @R93

PM with offers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

R93
    Sorry I have no idea. I like the history of battles and such.
    My weapons history is not flash.
    I would Hazzard a guess in a jungle somewhere tho😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Malaya would be my guess.
    Your one was made at Fazakerley (spelling..)
    I had a #4 Fulton made at Fazakerley, nice gun.
    Jungle carbines were dogs but do sell for premium dollars though.

Edit: Lots of info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Carbine

Pmd

Agree fazerkerley probably ftr(factory refurbish) cool looking woodwork. Any other numbers marks visible?

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

Assuming all matching serial numbers prob $500-600. Im sure all jungle carbines were cut down and refurbished no.4's. Most likely served in Burma or Malaya.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Assuming all matching serial numbers prob $500-600. Im sure all jungle carbines were cut down and refurbished no.4's. Most likely served in Burma or Malaya.
    As far as I know no real no5's were made from reconditioned no4's. There are extra machining step in the receiver and the barrel is also different and if they were reconditioned there would also be the original marking struck out.
    There are civi made "fake" carbines out there made from no5's. These often are good shooters but are not worth much more than a sporterised no4.

Price realised at collector auctions seems to be from 3-500. A lot are listed on tardme for more but never seem to sell.
    WallyR likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Your rifle was made at the Royal ordinance factory fazackerly (F). From what I recall they were also made by BSA. Yours is the more common of the two. They were known as the no5 with the term "Jungle Carbine" being invented for marketing purposes in the 1950s by American importers selling surplus no5s.

No5's were however made largely for use in the Far East/jungle so the term is an appropriate one.

Many have a wandering zero which generally is due to the flash hider fitting and the condition of the muzzle. A good one can produce reasonable accuracy.

A rough one will set you back $250-300 with most selling for around $400-500.
    They vary a lot in condition and it will depend on the condition of the barrel as to what it's worth.
    Interesting woodwork!
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Your rifle was made at the Royal ordinance factory fazackerly (F). From what I recall they were also made by BSA. Yours is the more common of the two. They were known as the no5 with the term "Jungle Carbine" being invented for marketing purposes in the 1950s by American importers selling surplus no5s.

No5's were however made largely for use in the Far East/jungle so the term is an appropriate one.

Many have a wandering zero which generally is due to the flash hider fitting and the condition of the muzzle. A good one can produce reasonable accuracy.

A rough one will set you back $250-300 with most selling for around $400-500.
    They vary a lot in condition and it will depend on the condition of the barrel as to what it's worth.
    Interesting woodwork!
    Actually the wandering zero is not due to those, its been tested and proved to be due to the lightening cuts in the action. I have a No5 Mk1 too. Its a blast (literally) to shoot. Kicks like a mule but a lot of fun.

No5 - All About Enfields

No.4 and No.5 rifle serial numbers can readily identify manufacturers. British No.4 rifles have five numbers, usually after one or two letter prefixes. The same letter prefix(es) were used by Maltby, Fazakerley & BSA Shirley, A to Z then AA, AB to AZ, then BA to BZ, CA to CZ &c. Maltby rifle serial numbers commence with a number '1', Fazakerley with a '2' and Shirley with a '3', e.g. 1xxxx for Maltby, 2xxxx for Fazakerley and for Shirley, 3xxxx, after the letter prefix. Late Shirley numbers then supposedly ran A4000 to A7999 and with PS prefixes at the very end of production. Post-war Fazakerley No.4 rifles had PF letter prefixes. The only exception to the 5-number sequence for No.4 rifles was the initial BSA Shirley production which ran from 0001 to 9999 then went with A to Z prefixes (A0001 to A9999 to the Z prefix) and some early dual letter prefixes (e.g. AT 0303), but then went over to A30001, &c. So early M47C No.4 rifle numbers could be confused with the Jungle carbine in having four rather than five numbers.

Long Branch (Canada) serial numbers incorporate an 'L' in the serial number while US Savage numbers include an 'C' in a similar relative position amongst the numbers. Both of these No.4 rifle series commenced with 0L1 and 0C1 respectively.

No.5 Jungle Carbines only have 4 numbers, the Shirley carbines have BB to C? prefixes, last production was post World War 2. The Fazakerley jungle carbines ran from FE1 to FE1000 initial production, then with no letter prefix, followed by A1 to A9999 through Z9999.
    WallyR likes this.

Thanks for the interest and info folks, sorry for the late reply. I am selling on behalf.

He wants $500 for this ONO, my PM offers have been rejected by the seller.

Cheers (going on TM shortly)
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt