Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Knives Africa

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Carlsen Highway
  • 1 Post By Grue
  • 1 Post By Grue
  • 1 Post By Carlsen Highway

Thread: Lee Hand Press

Lee Hand Press

Don't do any bulk loading, so thinking one of these would suit while sat in front of TV. Anyone got one in a box not doing anything?

Name:  61AfTIBYSQL._SX355_.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  18.7 KB

I haven't got one mate but had one. loaded probably 800 - 1000 rds, excellent little tools. Get the one with the quick bush's like the one shown. Set of Lee deluxe dies ( especially the neck tension die ) and if your fussy, measure your powder charges accurately then you can turn out some excellent ammo. Very under rated system that packs down to nothing.

reloader supplies sell them, pretty cheap.

I don't want to come across as overly critical, as it's not my intent, but I have to wonder if hand loading in front of the TV is really a good idea?
    If you're just resizing cases - maybe - but I think hand-loading demands constant quality-checks and immediate concentration.
    Scientia potentia est

Banned
    I reload while listening to the music of spaghetti westerns. Makes my ammo that much better.

I always wanted one of those Lee hand tools. Never got one though. I ended up with a Lee turret press, but I never bothered fixing it to a bench, so I just use it as a big hand tool. Means I can reload anywhere I like anyway. I even took it to the range a few times and reloaded on the shooting bench, or one time, inside the car. Same idea. The idea works. Then when your finished reloading on the kitchen bench or by the computer, then you just put it up on the shelf.
    Grue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypticaman View Post
    I don't want to come across as overly critical, as it's not my intent, but I have to wonder if hand loading in front of the TV is really a good idea?
    If you're just resizing cases - maybe - but I think hand-loading demands constant quality-checks and immediate concentration.
    I hear ya, would be the leg work - depriming, resizing, priming... I've got a healthy sense of paranoia so the delicate stuff will be done with full attention.
    Cordite likes this.

Cool. Aside from safety, I would just find it challenging I think. It's really good to be able to really 'feel' and examine every step of the process, especially resizing. I have loaded a few rounds for rifles with large [oversized] chambers, and I can't imagine loading for them without a good press fixed to the bench. I might be old school, but having a nice RCBS press fixed well to a bench seems so much nicer, and while set up takes longer it probably would be more efficient and consistent. Once nicely set up and organised, handloading doesn't have to be a chore and take forever.
    Scientia potentia est

Banned
    I just never got around to doing it. Its turned out that I havnt really needed to, from .22 Hornet to .30/06 and just about everything in between. (Oversize chambers are a bitch though, I had a .270 Brno with an oval chamber, and another .270 where the back end of the chamber was too large. I know what you mean. )

I quite enjoy the zen of reloading, and I like having lots of ammo. I don't find it particularly difficult nor taxing keep track of anything. Baking a loaf bread properly is harder.
    I probably couldnt watch television doing it, but then I cant watch television even when I'm doing nothing.
    Last edited by Carlsen Highway; 30-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.

.44/40... nice. I'll be working on the little sister, .38-40.

Name:  20121107_164316_zps4a9cc797.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  152.2 KB
    Carlsen Highway likes this.

How about a good old Lee loader if it comes in your cal

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypticaman View Post
    Cool. Aside from safety, I would just find it challenging I think. It's really good to be able to really 'feel' and examine every step of the process, especially resizing. I have loaded a few rounds for rifles with large [oversized] chambers, and I can't imagine loading for them without a good press fixed to the bench. I might be old school, but having a nice RCBS press fixed well to a bench seems so much nicer, and while set up takes longer it probably would be more efficient and consistent. Once nicely set up and organised, handloading doesn't have to be a chore and take forever.
    It is a slower process but if you have the time to chill out and go through the process it's every bit as good as a large fixed press. As for "feel " it leaves a big press for dead. I never used it on large stuff as it was mainly 223.
    As for quality / accuracy I was getting 12mm groups out at 100mtrs and hitting rabbits at 450 mtrs so it can with intention to detail ( as all reloading should ) produce great ammo.
    And yes that was with music playing , a beer or two.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grue View Post
    .44/40... nice. I'll be working on the little sister, .38-40.

Attachment 79225
    Excellent. I use XTps with smokeless high velocity too, but have lately gone to a 19th century cast bullet mold design and nearly pure lead. Try it with blackpowder too. You'll get a kick out of that. Kills deer just fine too.

Grue likes this.