Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Leupold Vx-5HD 3-15 for 1" tube scope of similar quality

Leupold Vx-5HD 3-15 for 1" tube scope of similar quality

I have the VX-5HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 firedot duplex scope on my favorite "big" hunting rifle, a 7x64. It's a superb scope but I feel it overpowers the rifle with its bulk up fairly high due in part to the 30mm tube. I'm probably being too fussy but . . .

I'd like a 1" tube and a high power of at least 14x (low end doesn't matter so much). It must be absolutely sharp at top magnification ideally with AO/side focus. Weight needs to be 450 gms/16 ozs or less. I like a plain duplex reticle but will consider others. I'd prefer an exposed turret with zero stop but will consider others and I don't shoot past 500M so don't need a bunch of MOA - and I'm happy with either MOA or Mil

If you have a high quality scope lets discuss a swap, with cash either way depending on . . . whatever.

Some scopes I'd consider would be a the Leupy 4.5-14x40 1" - with CDS and AO (discontinued and not a common model) Swaro Z53.5-18 BT but there may be other older models that would suit the bill

Zeiss hd5 here if you want it 5x25x50

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Zeiss hd5 here if you want it 5x25x50
    I'm trying to slim down (me, the rifle and scope) and the specs say the 5-25 is 26 oz - is that right ??

I would buy a Tract Toric 3-15 direct from the States . Ticks every box. Brian has one because he liked mine so much. Ask him. At the moment they have demo models at about USD550

Then sell the VX5 and end up with cash in hand.

Brian's
    Name:  IMG_0658.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  4.07 MB
    GSP HUNTER and duckdog like this.

A couple of options that might be of interest: #1 a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 with Z800 reticle is as new condition. Hunter turrets. I run the same scope in Z600 reticle on my 7x64 and find it a superb match. Gets me to about 585 yd with 154SSTs.
    #2 a Swarovski Z5 3.5 - 18x44 Plex reticle and ballistic turret (moa dial up to 13.2 moa) , also comes with the 3 original colour rings. Very good condition.
    Both scopes mint, if these are of interest let me know. Glass in both is mint. Can discuss some $ either way depending on which one peaks your interest. Both would work superbly on 7x64.

ive got a vx6 2-12 x 42 for sale. Not after a swap but might suit you if you sell your scope. It says online that its around 470 grams. Brand new never been mounted. Flick me a message if you're interested

I have a VX-3i 4.5-14x40, bought new in January has been on one bush walk and sat in the safe ever since. CDS is unused. Message me if you're interested (plus cash your way obviously)

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I would buy a Tract Toric 3-15 direct from the States . Ticks every box. Brian has one because he liked mine so much. Ask him. At the moment they have demo models at about USD550
    Was going to jump on that but seems I was too late , only the Tekoa models left. In saying that I have a Tract Tekoa 3-12. very nice optic given the build quality, terrific value and brilliant service.
    And to bring out the haters Ill sugest the made in Japan Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15. as a very good compact lite weight option.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Ill sugest the made in Japan Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15. as a very good compact lite weight option.
    +1

I’ve got a mate with a discounted price brand new razor like the one above. Won’t want to swap though just sell. Funny most of the scopes suggested are all pretty much exactly the same size as the leupold. If it’s too high with a 30mm tube put on some lower rings. The objective will dictate the the height not the tube diameter.
    Shearer and Stocky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    I’ve got a mate with a discounted price brand new razor like the one above. Won’t want to swap though just sell. Funny most of the scopes suggested are all pretty much exactly the same size as the leupold. If it’s too high with a 30mm tube put on some lower rings. The objective will dictate the the height not the tube diameter.
    In some instances in low rings the objective is well clear and an inch tube will sit a couple of mm lower. I prefer inch tubes over 30mm unless Im looking for extra elevation.
    What reticle is in your mates scope and how much does he want for it?
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    In some instances in low rings the objective is well clear and an inch tube will sit a couple of mm lower. I prefer inch tubes over 30mm unless Im looking for extra elevation.
    What reticle is in your mates scope and how much does he want for it?
    Get extra low?
    chalkeye likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS Side Focus 30mm Rifle Scope
    "The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal

It’s got a hash mark reticle in it HSR4. Has 15moa per turn under the cap. Would get you to 500 in that turn. I’ll find out what he wants.

Sorry he’s sold it