Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Lightweight 1-2 person tent

Lightweight 1-2 person tent

Hey all,

I recently bought an Outdoor Research Helium Bivy but I'm having second thoughts so I'm going back to the market and looking for a lightweight 1-2 person tent. In theory I love the idea of a super packable, lightweight (~500g) bivy bag, but practically I think I need more space and would rather carry the extra bulk and weight for that space.

A 1 person tent with a small area to stash gear would be perfect, but I would consider a small 2 person tent too. I don't see myself using it more than a handful of times a year, but I have a 3 night trip up at the end of March which I'm gearing up for now.
    I would be open to trading the Helium Bivy, but otherwise I'll just return it to the store as it's still within the returns window.

Let me know if you have a tent available that's light, i.e. in the range of 1kg-1.5kg or so with poles and pegs, strong and ideally around $300-400 or know where I can find one. The easier to set up and take down the better! I'm happy to spend more than I did on the bivy as a tent is more versitile, but too much more and I'll have some explaining to do .
    (It would be helpful to know if I'm being unrealistic too)

Cheers!
    Last edited by raspy; 25-02-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Take a look at intents outdoors. Copies of some of the bigger brands for fraction of the price. I have two of his tents and they seem to be holding up without issue
    dannyb likes this.

@raspy I have a https://www.stoneycreek.co.nz/shelter.html plus the optional floor for sale if your interested? light and loads of room compared to a tent. I rate them pretty versatile being able to spread out and not being able to pitch over a bit of rough ground (like tussock, rocks, etc etc) which can be a pain with a tent. Pretty bombproof in rough weather too.

Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    Take a look at intents outdoors. Copies of some of the bigger brands for fraction of the price. I have two of his tents and they seem to be holding up without issue
    Novapro sports do an interesting one too at $259 https://novaprosports.co.nz/products...ing-tent-amber
    A friend has bought one.
    Unproven yet but we chucked it up in the yard to see what it was like. Seems to pass muster on reviews. It could do with some tags/loops right in the middle of the broad sides to better secure in winds. Mate is going to get that done by a friendly sewer and seam seal the stitching. Bit tight for two but large for one. Full up, all parts and bobs included it weighs 1.727kg. Up to you what parts/bags you leave behind. It does drop down to that 1.35kg mark if you leave footprint, etc. behind.
    I have spent some time looking and think this is probably the best value for money/weight available at the moment.

I did a review of intents outdoors jett 1 tent, it's basically a copy of a terranova. Bloody great value
    Have a read.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-review-54353/

DBD
    I have a Exped Mira 1 that I could possibly let go, has ground sheet and can be put up fly only. Have a Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by CamFlatt View Post
    Ive got the one man tent from intent outdoors. Its really small and light.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

kw
    Hi, Have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 with footprint,rather good cond, google them as they are small and real light, PM me if it is of interest. K

Hi. I’ve a Vaude Powerlizard 1-2p with ground sheet. PM me if interested and I’ll send you photos and specs etc

Why not keep your biv bag and compliment it with a siltarp or similar fly? Just don't use the hoop in the biv - that's what I do. Its still lighter than a tent.

Name:  IMG_2558.jpeg
Views: 279
Size:  3.59 MB
    chainsaw likes this.

DBD
    +1 on the Siltarp move, I've been using a Siltarp2 in summer time without biv bag and been loving the light load. A tent will give more protection when she turns ugly tough.

Thanks all! That's a lot to research now and I'll get back to you

Iíd look at that Big Agnes above and or do what Tahr said although even a Siltarp isnít cheap.
    There is some good reviews on this forum hidden away and well worth a read from experienced guys who use these things in the real world.
    I personally hate Bivvy bags and didnít like my last tent (poor use of room) but am happy with the tent I have now.
    Just comes down to finding what works for the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    raspy likes this.
    Dan M

I have one just like this 10 years old supplied by Stoney creek called beyond Limits 2 person (1 plus gear) - still going.

This is the closes-est I could find online.. https://novaprosports.co.nz/products...SABEgKIvPD_BwE
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Bump! I'm following up and researching some options, but keen to hear about any other tents that might be out there