Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Lightweight Rifle

Lightweight Rifle

Anyone looking to sell a light weight rifle before I go out and buy a new one.

Looking for a Kimber/Forbes 280AI/SAUM/WSM etc.

I have a Forbes 260 I'm thinking about selling

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    25 /08 IMP and dannyb like this.

Honestly it's worth buying a new kimber hunter relatively cheap, by the time you remove the gel inside the stock they weigh less than the Montana by a touch. (neglible). And new you can shoot it with the gel in first and see if its too light for you as some can be recoiled sensitive. That and you can check its a shooter first and if not then it's warranty as they have a guarantee.

Best quality value for money lightweight setup is probably the kimber hunter and a Luepy VX3i CDS.
    A sub 6 pound scoped setup for sub 3k. Hard to beat really. I challenge you to find anything lighter for cheaper. Also why bother with a magnum. Yeh they are nice and I plan to build one one day but the reason I can't start is. In hunting situations the 7mm08 or 308 will kill way further than I need with modern projectiles and shooting one rifle and knowing it has some pretty big benefits.
    mikee, Mangle and Moa Hunter like this.

@Stocky thats what I had been thinking. Kimber Hunter with the gel stripped was the original plan. Just figured I would see what was out there first...
    Stocky likes this.

I agree with @Stocky that sounds like a good set up. Not sure what the gel is though? I have a Forbes 280AI I'd like to replace with a Kimber Montana in 280AI to have a matched pair with Montana 308.
    dannyb likes this.

There is a couple of hundred grams of gel filler in the but/pistol grip of the plastic stock of the Kimber Hunter. Only reason itís there seems to be to add weight and sound damping. Is apparently itís fairly easily removed.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    I have a Forbes 260 I'm thinking about selling

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    Depending on price this would be my pick, the Montana is also likeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hillclima likes this.
    Dan M

I've had both a Kimber Montana and a Forbes I liked the Forbes better but only because of the safety, I hated the Kimber safety.
    They both shot well although not sure how long the Forbes stock would stay looking nice.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Got a 308 howa alpine, 2800g with 30mm talleys. $1100. With a light scope you'd be close to weight of a tikka.
    Nick-D and dannyb like this.

DBD
    Is all the Kimber bolts the same? I was set on one until I handled it in the shop, the bolt rattled around like a kids toy. Not sure if it was just the adirondack.

My BSA Hunter Lightweight in 284 Win is potentially still for sale. Senator Carbon fibre stock etc. Light and accurate and i found another 20 homeloads so can add those (40 total now) and some dies. Photos etc if you look back in Buy/Sell
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Is all the Kimber bolts the same? I was set on one until I handled it in the shop, the bolt rattled around like a kids toy. Not sure if it was just the adirondack.
    All rifles with swing safety's have a "rattly bolt" because the safety mechanism blocks the firing pin, not the trigger like most side safety's do. The bolt isn't any "rattler" than a tikka or a Rem 700 or a sako etc when on a closed chamber and uncocked, the only time it's rattly is when you've got one up the spout and you put the safety on because it completely disconnects the firing pin mechanism from the trigger, the reason a rifle without a swing safety is "not rattly" when in battery with the safety engaged is because the firing pin is still hanging on the trigger with its spring tension and you're just relying on a blocked sear or trigger to stop it firing
    Stocky, 2post, HandH and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, Ö, 9.

@hillclima Any details on the Forbes?

@c-dog @Forestry thanks for the offers, but a little heavier than I was aiming for. Will keep them in mind though.

And a ‘rattly’ bolt is an intentional feature of Mauser’s design genius, elegantly miniaturised in the Kimber. Matter of opinion, the Mod 70 style 3 position safety on the Kimber is a feature of some of the finest custom rifles and much safer than sear blockers. Charlie
    Danny likes this.

There was a 280ai kimber hunter in central Otago hunting and fishing about 3-4mnths ago, probably gone now, but I had it ordered in back in January but with covid etc I couldn’t find out when it was going to land so sourced locally