Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: M4 wanted

M4 wanted

Hi team,

after a light weight M4 in A cat for a friend of mine.

Ive introduced him to my NEA but he's found it heavy for his use, even shown him a shorter barrel option but still not a go.

So if anyone out there has an option that they are selling please let me know.

Cheers
    www.allaboutenfields.co.nz dedicated to a great old rifle thatís still knocking them over!

The lightest one I have come across is a Remington R15 with a fluted barrel.

The R15's are a 20" and the 4" of fluting at the end of the barrel really doesnt do alot. I found the 14.5" NEA's to be quite light and you are probably not going to find one a hell of alot lighter. The quaddy is the heavy part on them. Get a 14.5" one and bin the quaddy and you should be right.
    By the way, you dont know heavy until you have humped a Lar-8 around the hills!

I've dedicated an AR15 build to a light weight one - Iron sights only, Spikes tact 14.5" light weight barrel, plastic magpul hand guard, and a light weight fixed stock
    Cant really save any weight in the upper/lower receiver or BCG - I know there are low mass BCG and plastic fantastic lowers but the cost and difficulty importing them made it not worth it. The final parts arrived today so ill weigh it all and let you know tonight

The plastic magpul MOE hand guards are actually quite heavy, nice free float tube is better

And more expensive

Buy an NEA, turn down barrel to LW contour, replace janky hand guard and stock?

Just weighed the Lightweight AR build and it came 2.8KG with no sights at all - after irons and may need to swap gas block it will be pretty close to 3kg.

That's interesting about the Moe hand guard Gimp, I just assumed that plastic was lighter and didn't think any more of it, its mid-length gas so it will add a bit more that carbine

Mine was 3.2kg with 14.5" M4A1 (HEAVY) contour, 9" DD M4 railed hand guard with ladder rail covers, 350gm Waitaki can, rifle length ARFX stock, low pro gas block, TA31 ACOG in Larue mount

With new 11" Troy VTAC Alpha tube, 14.5" M4 contour (might turn it down some more, too) and entry length ARFX, all else the same, I expect to drop maybe .5kg

MOE hand guards alone weigh similar to Troy tube with barrel nut. Add barrel nut etc and they're a touch heavier, for the same length

Wait that was with no can, just a ~100gm compensator.

The Christensen Arms AR's are pretty impressive. Only if your bank account likes surprise sex though. Seriously proper use of a good two point sling will really take the weight out of an AR.

Thanks for the input guys, he has now purchased a rifle.
    www.allaboutenfields.co.nz dedicated to a great old rifle thatís still knocking them over!