Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Macrocarpa sawn timber Canterbury

Macrocarpa sawn timber Canterbury

I have a sawmiller starting today on 70 tons of macrocarpa logs we logged a few months ago
    90 year old trees and good quality from a few logs I have milled previously from around the edges of the stand of trees

So can do some cut to order if anyone needs some macro timber

EX Akaroa area
    Dressing clears
    Dressing
    Building
    Landscaping

Remember macro can't be used in consented building projects
    Will be milling about the same tonnage for the next 3 years to work through this stand of trees
    Mathias and TianBotha like this.

Macro can be used as cladding 190x25 off the mill and 100x25 for the battens
    JoshC likes this.

A beautiful cladding might I add
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Macro can be used as cladding 190x25 off the mill and 100x25 for the battens
    Only in a consented cavity batten system where the cladding is only considered to be a screen
    The E2 compliant component is the barrier ply and flashings under the macro cladding

It can still be used direct fixed the window detail is the main change from the cavity method . Windows have sill flashings, cavity battens to the trimmers over paper and alu band, cladding sealed to head flashing and pef rod and silicone to the inside rather than pef road and exspanding foam . I always recommend cavity construction how ever the architect will provide all relevant details to council whilst applying for consent nailing pattern is important and no dark stains
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I didn't know you couldn't use it for building, may father built a Woolshed 50 years ago from Macrocarpa, all heart and as good as the day he built it. I thought the big problem in NZ building was untreated kiln dried pine? Builder in Wellington tells me that leaky homes II has begun, he is helping fix 10 homes built 5 to ten years ago, budget 500k a house, problems all over. Can you use euc's and redwood, our old house was built with a lot of imported redwood.

It's a typical timber industry protecting itself

It has to be graded and treated to code

So small woodlot owner can't afford to play with the big boys on grading

Last big lot of macro I used in a consented build ( I'm a licensed builder also ) was allowed if dimension was 200% Cross sectional area of the code
    This because not graded for spam or load

Macro and euc and redwood can't be sub floor framing
    Good for flooring and skillion ceiling linings
    Great for beams of the territorial authority will accept engineers workings

It's a complicated space now

Would macrocarpa be any good for making stocks out of?
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Not really
    Have seen it done but not great results over time
    Stick with walnut there's a very good reason its been the go too choice for hundreds of years
    Micky Duck likes this.

I grow Robinia for posts, it has to be 20 years old till its dense enough to last for damn near forever. Would be good for piles etc. You get a lot of posts off a few acres.Name:  image0 (4).jpeg
Views: 311
Size:  3.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    It can still be used direct fixed the window detail is the main change from the cavity method . Windows have sill flashings, cavity battens to the trimmers over paper and alu band, cladding sealed to head flashing and pef rod and silicone to the inside rather than pef road and exspanding foam . I always recommend cavity construction how ever the architect will provide all relevant details to council whilst applying for consent nailing pattern is important and no dark stains
    This is a build we have in progress at the moment, Mac weather board. Comes up nice. And yes it is over a cavity system. Basically you can use what ever you like, wherever you like......if you can get an engineer to sign it off. Name:  20220513_111057-768x576.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  41.0 KBName:  20220513_111220-scaled.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  588.8 KBName:  20220513_111220-scaled.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  588.8 KB
    JoshC, rugerman, Huntn and 5 others like this.

This is what were Upto at the moment macro cladding redwood ceilings Douglas rafters recycled poles from the Wellington wharf rebuild stone for fireplace is being collected from the gorge on the property the subfloor framing is old man pine that was planted when the original house was build in 1886 everything except the poles has being cut milled and machined by us our local treatment plant has burnt down so its looking a bit unkept waiting for the facia paper flapping from the roof will be nice to get the facia and gutter tidied up so excuse the tattery paper we opted to rap this in November to protect it then wrap it a second time and instal windows and start cladding once we machined the cladding to ensure we stayed within the limitations of the wrap
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    I thought he was asking if stocks could be made of Macrocarpa to hold the writers of modern building codes in, and the raft of dodgy builders, in the village square and have people throw rotten tomatoes at them
    rugerman, Beaker, akaroa1 and 3 others like this.

Bloody hell Kelton, thats nice Just how a house should be made.

We have torn our hair out attempting to use solid second hand timber and cladding but our district council symie us at every turn. FFS the 2nd hand 1980's CGI we have is three times the thickness of the paper foil that passes as corrugated iron these days, but no. Can't be used. Same with Steel portals made from Aussie steel in the 1980's. "No, its not made to modern standards" FFS you can still see the baked bean can impressions in the chinese steel imported these days So much for the oft touted slogan :sustainable".
    My grump for the day.

I could whip up stocks and put them up in the village for the tourists to get photos in