Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Macrocarpa sawn timber Canterbury

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    This is what we’re Upto at the moment macro cladding redwood ceilings Douglas rafters recycled poles from the Wellington wharf rebuild stone for fireplace is being collected from the gorge on the property the subfloor framing is old man pine that was planted when the original house was build in 1886 everything except the poles has being cut milled and machined by us our local treatment plant has burnt down so it’s looking a bit unkept waiting for the facia paper flapping from the roof will be nice to get the facia and gutter tidied up so excuse the tattery paper we opted to rap this in November to protect it then wrap it a second time and instal windows and start cladding once we machined the cladding to ensure we stayed within the limitations of the wrap
    That's awesome mate, look really nice. I like the poles/ridge beams. Hard to find clears Mac. There is a lot of shelter belt stuff out there and very little plantation Mac that has been pruned. We actually use Pacific Kauri in lieu of clears Mac for marine fitouts as the Kauri is easier to get get.....in clears.
    Micky Duck and Kelton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Bloody hell Kelton, thats nice Just how a house should be made.

We have torn our hair out attempting to use solid second hand timber and cladding but our district council symie us at every turn. FFS the 2nd hand 1980's CGI we have is three times the thickness of the paper foil that passes as corrugated iron these days, but no. Can't be used. Same with Steel portals made from Aussie steel in the 1980's. "No, its not made to modern standards" FFS you can still see the baked bean can impressions in the chinese steel imported these days So much for the oft touted slogan :sustainable".
    My grump for the day.
    I did a roof recently and fucking milo tin shit got thrown around a lot sneakers were no good I was down to bare feet and still causeing damage . Thankfully on this house the client opted for the thickest available and it’s being a pleasure to work with
    Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Bloody hell Kelton, thats nice Just how a house should be made.

We have torn our hair out attempting to use solid second hand timber and cladding but our district council symie us at every turn. FFS the 2nd hand 1980's CGI we have is three times the thickness of the paper foil that passes as corrugated iron these days, but no. Can't be used. Same with Steel portals made from Aussie steel in the 1980's. "No, its not made to modern standards" FFS you can still see the baked bean can impressions in the chinese steel imported these days So much for the oft touted slogan :sustainable".
    My grump for the day.
    You need to get an engineer on board mate. There is no reason you cannot use the products you have mentioned, it just simply falls out of the scope of the "norm" Councils, unfortunately are bound by the rules enforced upon them, which I agree, are ridiculous.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesworld View Post
    You need to get an engineer on board mate. There is no reason you cannot use the products you have mentioned, it just simply falls out of the scope of the "norm" Councils, unfortunately are bound by the rules enforced upon them, which I agree, are ridiculous.
    I know what you mean, but struth we are just fed up with everyone scared to make a decision..., or arse covering...or even be consistent with decisions. Every time someone writes you a letter or runs a set of calcs its 10K!

Nope. The sooner the council are out of our hair the better. Then I can get out the welder and front end loader and build our own fricken portal sheds and garages out of 250 x 120 x 8 I beams and have them happily survive the Southern Alpine fault letting go.

If I was ever doing it again I'd build out of 40 foot high cubes with a central conservatory and personalise it with some of the stuff Kelton has been crafting together, and fuck the councils. Bit of dirt with running water and hills to block the view of your home from the road...Back to being a happy hermit

I know what you mean, but struth we are just fed up with everyone scared to make a decision..., or arse covering...or even be consistent with decisions. Every time someone writes you a letter or runs a set of calcs its 10K!

Nope. The sooner the council are out of our hair the better. Then I can get out the welder and front end loader and build our own fricken portal sheds and garages out of 250 x 120 x 8 I beams and have them happily survive the Southern Alpine fault letting go.

If I was ever doing it again I'd build out of 40 foot high cubes with a central conservatory and personalise it with some of the stuff Kelton has been crafting together, and fuck the councils. Bit of dirt with running water and hills to block the view of your home from the road...Back to being a happy hermit
    Yea mate I threw my balls on the table and took council on, with a 50/50 chance of damaging my relationship with them. The inspectors are loving it and well impressed and if anything I think iv gained a lot of respect. I’m pretty sure everyone pushing paper at WDC has steam coming from their ears when they here my name though
    25/08IMP and Micky Duck like this.

The entire frame of my house is macrocarpa with mortise and tenon pegged joinery. Main posts are 250x200 and tie beams are even bigger. That market could be an option too.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    The member formally known as Spitfire