Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel Kwon
  • 1 Post By Feral
  • 4 Post By Ftx325
  • 4 Post By dvk-kp
  • 2 Post By robh500

Thread: Marlin 1895 SBL

Marlin 1895 SBL

Morning friends,

As per the title, I wanted to know if anyone wanted to let go of their Marlin 1895 SBL in 45-70.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
    Feral likes this.

I have one but sorry, not looking to part with it just at this stage. Happy to share load advice if / when you get to that stage.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Thank Feral, that would be very much appreciated. What do you objectively think about it's hunting application in New Zealand? Is it noisy or heavy to carry around?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kwon View Post
    Thank Feral, that would be very much appreciated. What do you objectively think about it's hunting application in New Zealand? Is it noisy or heavy to carry around?
    Oh shit yeah, its heavy and noisy, but a lot of fun! I only use it for creek / scrub stalking (even though a 308 would do!) I also know the drop on it so can use it with a red dot to 200m if I had to.

Its just a lot of old school fun and good to share the experience with others at the range from time to time.

I've only used mine on goats and pigs so far but it has been very effective and clean killing. You tend to get wide wound channels and cavities but without all the hydrostatic shock and blooding of the meat of faster modern hunting rounds.

Daniel Kwon likes this.

i ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE. yes its heavy compared to a modern lightweight bolt gun and yes it's very loud but the most fun you can have with your pants on (or possibly even off). Mine I have fitted the alloy handguard too which has shaved a little weight and also run a small pistol red dot. They kick like a mule but mine is plenty accurate with the hornady leverevolution 325 gr ammo.
    LOVE IT
    I am currently waiting for a new tikka 308 bolt gun to use as a bush rifle instead of the 45 simply to have a supressed bush gun as I hunt with the family and worry a little about the kids ears , and had briefly considered offering you mine but I think I would regret it. Even the missus (bless her) said I would be unbearable if I couldn't give it a cuddle every now and then ....lol.
    I spent three days carrying it around out bush a couple of weekends ago (without a sling) and you really don't notice the weight that much and after you have fallen for the beast you just plain old won't care.
    There are a couple of pics of mine in the bubba what have you done thread....
    good luck finding one... most don't seem to want to let theirs go once they own one. And you never know when a t-rex might need taking out....lol
    Last edited by Ftx325; 21-10-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spielling
    born to hunt - forced to work

Cole
    Good luck with ya search for one. I wanted one for ages and was at H&F palmy and there was a second hand one in mint condition on the shelf, with a low power leupold scope which was exactly what I was looking for, just like in the movie Wind River. Saved about $1500 over Gun City listed prices for everything new. So they do pop up, finding someone who wants to sell theirs is the hardest part!
    john m, Feral, Daniel Kwon and 1 others like this.

I’ve got a set of Lee dies for one if/when you need. I’ll let them go cheap.
    Daniel Kwon and Adunbar like this.

@Masperjay has a Dark that I think might be up for moving on?