Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Carlsen Highway
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By norsk

Thread: Martini-Henry in .577-450

Banned

Martini-Henry in .577-450

Military full stock Martini-Henry in .577-450.

Aged patina, but no damage, collector grade. Bore is excellent rifling. Overall browning to metal parts and in general good condition.
    Was owned by a collector for decades and was never used.

577-450 reloading dies are available at Gunworks, and cases can readily be made from 24 gauge brass shotshells (also sold by Gunworks, $50 for 25)

I have two original .577-450 rounds that can go with it Ė canít put my hands on them at the moment, but I know they are around here somewhere. (They may or may not go off, the old primers could be dead.)

$1500.00 + courier

Looks like this:
    Tertle, john m, Kero and 2 others like this.

Mnn mk 111 long lever, any chance of photos of the actions sides and top please.

Oops meant 1V, it looks a bit like the Nepalese ones that came here in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Oops meant 1V, it looks a bit like the Nepalese ones that came here in the 70s.
    That is interesting.I guess a few leaked out before Christian Kramer bought the lot of them in 2003.

I have a couple of Long Lever Martini's,excellent Rifles and a good way to get into Black powder shooting,you don't need dies if you paper patch the Bullets.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    That is interesting.I guess a few leaked out before Christian Kramer bought the lot of them in 2003.

I have a couple of Long Lever Martini's,excellent Rifles and a good way to get into Black powder shooting,you don't need dies if you paper patch the Bullets.
    What load do you put in them? Being a necked cartridge 70 grains hurts and is expensive, Ive tried fillers but without much success. Have a heap of SPANZ brass, which is basically straight drilled, making them like a 45/70.
    Nice rifle and fun to shoot, especially with a nose bleeder charge for your mate!!
    akaroa1 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

In my spanz cases i use 55 gr with rolled oats as a,filler or 70 grains without and I use a 400 grain flat base lee which seems to duplicate original trajectory.
    The bertram brass I have gets full noise loaded for special occasions or people and a 500 grainer, and ive a collet crimper to stop them falling out. Bugger paying a couple off hundy for dies.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Nice rifle and fun to shoot, especially with a nose bleeder charge for your mate!!
    I like that term. Nose bleeder charge.
    Have to remember that one and use it when certain guys are trying the muzzleloader.
    Easy to slip in a bigger charge and giving them a "nose bleed"
    Maca49 likes this.

Better if you get the girl friend to fire it first with a soft load, then give the big man FULL CHARGE. They fid it hard to say it hurts when the lady was just fine with shooting it. The 577/450 is a great cartridge for this game, as is my 500 BPE!
    veitnamcam and akaroa1 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    What load do you put in them? Being a necked cartridge 70 grains hurts and is expensive, Ive tried fillers but without much success. Have a heap of SPANZ brass, which is basically straight drilled, making them like a 45/70.
    I use 60grn 1.5 Fg,foam backer rod as a filler,cut off at the case mouth,.468" diameter Bullet unsized in pure lead,bullet seated to just under the first ridge on the first grease groove and the bullet lubed with beeswax/olive oil mix.Cases are reformed CBC 24 gauge brass shotgun shells.The case is neck sized only.

For paper patched bullets the charge is the same,except the bullets are slip fitted over the top of raw sheeps wool.If I use foam backer rod and push the bullet in,the foam expands and pushes the bullet out again.

I have found the first load to be the most practical,no wads,grease cookie etc.If I plan on having a bit more of a shooting session,I dip the bullets in Niva Skin Cream before I load them,helps keep the fouling soft.Although the foam backing rod does a great job of pushing alot of the fouling out.

I have tried all manner of fillers,wad stacks etc but for ease of use and accuracy I find the foam rod to be personally the best.
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Billy goats do not like being shot end-for-end with 577/450 projectiles.... but that Mk1V is a bit heavy to lug around the hills all day
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Billy goats do not like being shot end-for-end with 577/450 projectiles.... but that Mk1V is a bit heavy to lug around the hills all day
    Penetration tests by the british showed the round would go through 8 upright pig carcasses at 100 yards and lodge in a 9th, so you could end for end 9 with one shot if you can line them up right.

And thru 7.5 prisoners standing, shot through the chest, just testing, I believe, 8th was just unlucky, 9th would have shit himself. English always get it right!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough