Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Mauser peep sight - gauging interest

Wondering how much people would be willing to pay for a Rigby peep sight made to fit the bolt assembly on a Mauser 98 or Mauser style firearm? It is a collapsable design, which means you can wind the sight stem down and chuck on a scope.

It's best used for the following:

A) An accesory to a front blade and a rear 'V': The peep can be used as a diopter, which removes the common problem many (especially older) people have with blurry open sights. It sharpens up the sight picture quite considerably.

(I've attached a photo of a rifle sporting this system as a reference).

B) A substitute for a 'V' rear sight: the peep can be used only with a front blade, making for a minimalist set-up.

C) Adds versatility to a 'stalking rifle': Due to the collapsable design of the peep, it can be used to compliment a scope in quick detach mounts. It may mean the scope is mounted 5mm or so higher to clear what is left of the peep in it's retracted position, but unlike a rig tailored towards longer range/precision shooting, a tight cheek weld may not be necessary or even desired (i.e quick off-hand shots).

Some Info

The peep was made by John Rigby and Co in England. It's virtually brand new. Cost approx $1200 to get here (I must have been on the piss when I ordered it).

The unit is comprised of both the peep sight and the cocking piece it is attached to (the cylindrical metal thing joining the peep and the bolt shroud).

You'll need your gunsmith to remove the regular cocking piece from your bolt and replace it with the peep sight unit. A 5-10 minute job.

This is quite a rare opportunity for you Mauser lovers to own an expensive accessory for a fraction of the cost.

I'm after $500 ish. Free shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Allan Carr makes and fits them if you are after a NZ made product. Ah sorry you are selling yours I thought you were looking.

This one is sold pending funds.

Yep - Allen Carr does make em'.