Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Stager BLK

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Three O'Three
  • 1 Post By zeropak
  • 3 Post By zeropak
  • 1 Post By zeropak

Thread: meat grinder

meat grinder

Hi all. I'm on the market for a good meat grinder, something strong enough to smash through raw chicken and rabbit bone as well. Gonna try my hand at making my own MightyMix frozen concentrate.
    Thanks
    GSP HUNTER likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Hi all. I'm on the market for a good meat grinder, something strong enough to smash through raw chicken and rabbit bone as well. Gonna try my hand at making my own MightyMix frozen concentrate.
    Thanks
    Bones can be a bit tricky. You need to have enough machine power and use a large plate hole size to prevent bone pieces getting stuck in the plate. You also need to accept that the knife will need a lot more frequent sharpening and replacement. I would suggest that the recommended minimum machine size would be a 22 series mincer. Check these out.
    https://zeropak.co.nz/zeropak-hakka-...c-meat-mincer/
    Happy to discuss details if you would like to talk direct please message me.
    40mm likes this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I swear by the one I use, but I haven't tried bone through it
    https://www.nisbets.co.nz/apuro-heav...mincer/cd400-a

Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    I swear by the one I use, but I haven't tried bone through it
    https://www.nisbets.co.nz/apuro-heav...mincer/cd400-a
    That would also be a suitable machine. Although they have not stated it in the blurb, based on the rated output and wattage I would pretty much guarantee that is also a #22 size machine. Pretty sure that the Apuro units have all steel gears the same as the ZeroPak-Hakka units.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    That would also be a suitable machine. Although they have not stated it in the blurb, based on the rated output and wattage I would pretty much guarantee that is also a #22 size machine. Pretty sure that the Apuro units have all steel gears the same as the ZeroPak-Hakka units.
    Now that is a sales pitch worth listening to!

The competition's machine gets a good review.
    Either we have an honest salesman here or a very cunning one!

Loving that vac pac machine mate. how is the bench going? did my plumbing leak?
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    Now that is a sales pitch worth listening to!

The competition's machine gets a good review.
    Either we have an honest salesman here or a very cunning one!

Loving that vac pac machine mate. how is the bench going? did my plumbing leak?
    Hi, pleased to hear the SICO vac pac is doing the job for you. The bench is great. Had a couple of teething problem, yes the plumbing leaked, BUT, its now sorted, I cut the original attachment off the pipe to the tap then slipped on some garden hose with a hose clamp, a quick release hose connector and all sorted. I also glued and screwed the cutting board into place because I was concerned about it warping with the summer heat. It has been used for Venison, Wild Pork a bit of fish filleting. So I'm pretty happy with it. Also looks great in my barbecue area.
    On the subject of Mincers. Yeah well there are other good brands out there. If someone chooses to purchase my brand then that's great, if not then that's fine too. I stay away from the hard sell.
    Anyway. Good to hear from you. And great to hear that your happy with your machine.
    bumblefoot, WillB and RV1 like this.

As an ex butcher; steer clear of the "the price is too good to be true" Trademe models.... A mate bought one brand new for $89. Made of Chinesium and stuffed up in about a week... Not that it really worked anyway.... Game tends not to be very fatty (a bit "dry") and you need a pretty good mincer to work effectively on it.

I'm going to be buying a mincer soon and after using commercial mincers the last thing I want is to get a shi$$er that chews all the time! I still reckon you have to pay the $$$$ to get a decent mincer or sausage filler.... I may have been spoilt in the past but I'd hate to be spending hours drip feeding meat into a mincer to avoid blocking and chewing... I've held off because most of the better brand models seem to be put of stock at the moment. Due to Covid shipping delays I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    As an ex butcher; steer clear of the "the price is too good to be true" Trademe models.... A mate bought one brand new for $89. Made of Chinesium and stuffed up in about a week... Not that it really worked anyway.... Game tends not to be very fatty (a bit "dry") and you need a pretty good mincer to work effectively on it.

I'm going to be buying a mincer soon and after using commercial mincers the last thing I want is to get a shi$$er that chews all the time! I still reckon you have to pay the $$$$ to get a decent mincer or sausage filler.... I may have been spoilt in the past but I'd hate to be spending hours drip feeding meat into a mincer to avoid blocking and chewing... I've held off because most of the better brand models seem to be put of stock at the moment. Due to Covid shipping delays I suppose
    Totally agree with your comments re the trademe specials. I get regular calls from people who have tried that route and its ended up in tears. I know what $$ it costs to manufacture a decent machine. It is not possible to even manufacture a decent machine at the retail price I see some of those machines on trademe being offered at. Also agree with your comments about the issues of chewed up meat. The cheaper brand cutting plates are stamped and not precision ground, that means no sharpness on the hole edges which ends up mashing the meat and not cutting.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Anyway it feels like we might have got off on a sidetrack here. I hope that @Three O'Three has had some insight into what might be needed for the task at hand.

I'd be looking at how much horse power it has most commercial ones are 3-5 hp and are belt or direct drive. So you'd be wanting at least a 1hp unit with steel gears and good plates and knifes. Keep your eye out for an old butcherboy or dimock mincer they are belt driven so if you don't have 3phase you can swap the motor out for a single phase. Something to mull over hope you find what you are looking for