Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: MIG welder

MIG welder

I want a MIG welder. Use: For a start - learning to weld better than I currently can. Then making my own exhaust, turbo manifold, bumper, etc.

I don't want anything stupidly expensive, needs to run off a standard (10amp?) socket in my garage.

What's out there or recommended? Gasless any good?

I would be inclined to buy a tig for fabing up and welding turbo headers etc.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    sako75 and Mathias like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Yeah I was just thinking that and was about to edit my post. What's the go with TIG. does a machine cost more & is it ridiculously hard

Mig tig arc all in one welders are getting cheaper by the day, if you ever want to weld aluminium or stainless its the way to go. Would hold its value if you find out its not your thing also

If you can gas weld then a piece of piss. An electric arc in place of a gas flame

Tig is about the easyest most controlable welding there is....well on dc anyway.
    You really need ac/dc tig to do alloy that bumps price up but just dc units are pretty cheap.
    I recomend getting one with hf start and down slope.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Blaser likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Learning TIG with a scratch start/lift TIG is painful, and it makes tacking a shit so +1 for high frequency start.

I have something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-In-...b-e64f37236d27

I know it looks like shit but mine has lasted 6 years of round the house stuff including plasma cutting some thin stainless. Brought in 2 myself and sold the other to pay (almost free). It has been fine to learn on but won't do alloy.

I bought one of these, but 160A welding and 40A plasma cutter. When we finally get power back to the garage I'll unpack it and plug it in.

Mitech Plasma 50a, AC/DC TIG/ARC 200A, Pulse, HF | Trade Me
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

ok ive got a gas gasless mig for at home its pretty basic ive owned it for over 10 years and welded everything from exhausts rust repairs built firewood bodys for trucks trailers horse floats and general repairs to farm machinery most people will say gasless is shit but ive found it ok less hassel without a bottle portable and welds better outside in the wind got a gas one at work and thats good as well except if im in a windy place

Gasless cheapies are good - they just give off more smoke/fumes than gas welders
    Gassless wire is roughly 90 bucks for a 5kg in my area - it goes pretty far though

A good portable starter, TIG as per VC's recommendations is the next step up but a basic MIG gasless is a good set to have IMO

If you cant weld first id go and do a course or get someone thats fairly experienced as imo if your a beginner mig is not the one especially if you think youll be building bumpers etc
    #BallisticFists

MIG welder

I've got the green 150amp mag mate mig from BOC, used it for everything, building trailers, rust repairs, building exhausts, does me fine

Does have a 15amp plug but I just made an extension cord out of 2.5mm and had 15 female and 10amp male on other end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Being a welder by trade, I can tell you for a fact that you get what you pay for in terms of welding units. Often beginners are put off because welding is 'too hard' when in actual fact they are trying to learn using a crappy power supply unit. My personal recommendation is stick with good name brands, and anything under $1,000 will have questionable internals and a poor duty cycle. I have seen lots of cheap units fail and when it comes to repairs they are throw away's because you cannot get control boards etc.

I would recommend a Lincoln 180i which will do MIG and stick out of the box, and TIG if you buy a hand piece. If you are looking at aluminium, you will need to buy a wire spool hand piece for MIG at a cost of around $1k. Aluminum with TIG will require a high frequency unit which is a completely different kettle of fish. If you really believe that you are going to get into ali welding, better to invest big up front.

The 180i is 'synergic' which means that you dial up your wire size and the thickness of material you are welding and the unit will automatically set the voltage and wire feed rate. Great for beginners. You can then just tweak the setting to your desired outcome.

Best price I have seen in NZ is Lincoln Powercraft 180i 3-in-1 Stick/TIG/MIG Welder

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    I've got the green 150amp mag mate mig from BOC, used it for everything, building trailers, rust repairs, building exhausts, does me fine

Does have a 15amp plug but I just made an extension cord out of 2.5mm and had 15 female and 10amp male on other end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just be aware that running a 15amp machine on a 10amp plug will ultimately result in the melting of your 10amp earth pin. I recommend getting a sparkie in to install a 15amp outlet if you are using the welder on a regular basis.