Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: Molds- lead casting

Molds- lead casting

Team,

Going to play making my own shotgun ammo, solids and double O's, any one got any molds they don't use anymore?

In fact just realised I've press's nothing else, cases would be handy too!!
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

If you are going to get into casting seriously stay away from Lee moulds they are rubbish I have been cast for 40 + years never found a Lee mould that will stand up to
    long use they are good for a 100 or so bullets then they warp and leak all over the place, check out NOE moulds and Lyman I have use a Lyman 12g mould casts nice slugs
    and their round ball moulds are good used a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    If you are going to get into casting seriously stay away from Lee moulds they are rubbish I have been cast for 40 + years never found a Lee mould that will stand up to
    long use they are good for a 100 or so bullets then they warp and leak all over the place, check out NOE moulds and Lyman I have use a Lyman 12g mould casts nice slugs
    and their round ball moulds are good used a few of them.
    Ive the odd lee for my .577 snider, the rest for my 44 cal, Rem 25-06, 6.5 carcano, the 30 cals and 303 sets (well out to 317!!!!) are all a mix of NOE and Lyman.

Going to have a tinker with shotgun loading as I've never dabbled in that direction before! Now just seeing if anyone has any moulds that they are not using at the moment!
    I appreciate & respect differing views, I greatly value the benefit of good conversation around differing opinions & respect points of view contrary to my own, however when you’re a belligerent self-opinionated obnoxious troll like individual, +1 to the ignore list

Ive got lee and lyman moulds, the oldest lee is 30 years old and has done thousands of 405 grainers for my 45/70. Easy to heat and just goes. My lyman 577 mould is a bitch to get heated and get good fills once going though it's fine, I have it as my fussy snider shoots its design better than the lee ones, but my repro enfield doesn't care. Then there are my lee 30 cals which are nearly as old. I have no problem with the lee stuff, its basic easy to use and does a good job. If I were going to cast shotgun id probably use lee stuff, its cheaper, does a good job and if it turns out to be a passing fad its not a lot of $$. If you want cases, pay postage and you can have up to 1000 winchester AA hulls which are designed for reloading and getting in my way
    gadgetman, Tommy and rossi.45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Ive got lee and lyman moulds, the oldest lee is 30 years old and has done thousands of 405 grainers for my 45/70. Easy to heat and just goes. My lyman 577 mould is a bitch to get heated and get good fills once going though it's fine, I have it as my fussy snider shoots its design better than the lee ones, but my repro enfield doesn't care. Then there are my lee 30 cals which are nearly as old. I have no problem with the lee stuff, its basic easy to use and does a good job. If I were going to cast shotgun id probably use lee stuff, its cheaper, does a good job and if it turns out to be a passing fad its not a lot of $$. If you want cases, pay postage and you can have up to 1000 winchester AA hulls which are designed for reloading and getting in my way
    Thank you for the offer i will flick you an email. all my moulds can have off days, normally its because I've been impatient or haven't prepped them properly or kept them stored ideally, thanks again for the offer.

try sockets like the ones you use for tightening bolts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BUDBbdA6A

wouldnt hesitate to get a LEE mold or recommend them . . . like all their gear its good value for the money and gets you started.

NOE, Lyman are better, and at top of my list would be RCBS but they come at a premuim price.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    wouldnt hesitate to get a LEE mold or recommend them . . . like all their gear its good value for the money and gets you started.

NOE, Lyman are better, and at top of my list would be RCBS but they come at a premuim price.
    Agreed. Good value. Always had good results with my Lee molds. Up and running really quick, much faster and less frustrating than my 577 Lyman where I could cast away for anything up to 15 mins b4 getting good bullits without voids. Plus the Lee bullits shot better than my 577 Tradional Lyman in my PH Enfields and my Sniders. Also had great results with their round ball molds. I found you just need to take a bit of care when closing them none of this snapping shut as they will wear where the plug (well for the minies at any rate) engages the alloy blocks.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    try sockets like the ones you use for tightening bolts
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BUDBbdA6A
    Thats more agricultural than my Mosin Nagant!