Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Mosin brass

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    110

    Mosin brass

    Hello all.

    Will be getting into reloading soon so starting to think ahead and keep an eye out for brass that I will use.

    Anyone have any once fired 54R cases they were thinking of moving on?

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,364
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvincent View Post
    Hello all.

    Will be getting into reloading soon so starting to think ahead and keep an eye out for brass that I will use.

    Anyone have any once fired 54R cases they were thinking of moving on?

    Cheers
    How many? I might have some Highland here.....I will have a look tomorrow.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    chch
    Posts
    110
    where abouts are ya? i have about 60 rounds and a heap of brass left over form my old moisin sniper.

  4. #4
    Member Rock river arms hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,311
    I know of someone with 200 rounds ish of live milsurp ammo? If it's of interest plus the rifle to go with it

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    where abouts are ya? i have about 60 rounds and a heap of brass left over form my old moisin sniper.
    Based in Rotorua. What about yourself. Ammos a bit hard to move these days but empty cases are easy

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    How many? I might have some Highland here.....I will have a look tomorrow.
    Awesome and thankyou. I'm not too worried about how many. I just thought I will start now and if I find a few smile piles it will add up over time.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,364
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvincent View Post
    Awesome and thankyou. I'm not too worried about how many. I just thought I will start now and if I find a few smile piles it will add up over time.
    If you go down that road, it is unending....worth it but fair warning....

    Try Russianz for projectiles too. BARNAUL - PROJECTILES He had the 203gr projectiles from the Barnaul SP load for $38.85 per 100 . I use a 210 gr Woodleigh round nose in my 303 and while expensive, man do they hit animals hard....BOOM Flop.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Waiouru
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I know of someone with 200 rounds ish of live milsurp ammo? If it's of interest plus the rifle to go with it
    Sorry to Hijack your thread Bob...

    I am interested in this!! Details?

    Of course , If Bob Doesn't want to jump on it.

  9. #9
    Member Rock river arms hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Deep South
    Posts
    1,311
    Just sent you the details Masper

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Masperjay View Post
    Sorry to Hijack your thread Bob...

    I am interested in this!! Details?

    Of course , If Bob Doesn't want to jump on it.
    Ah you go first mate. Might stop you eying up my one :p. Let me know of your not going to tho!!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    If you go down that road, it is unending....worth it but fair warning....

    Try Russianz for projectiles too. BARNAUL - PROJECTILES He had the 203gr projectiles from the Barnaul SP load for $38.85 per 100 . I use a 210 gr Woodleigh round nose in my 303 and while expensive, man do they hit animals hard....BOOM Flop.
    Yup looks like a very long road but a lot of fun. Very very noob though so just starting to try and understand what I need. Cases seem like the easy part. Sounds like using the right diameter projectile is a whole lot of fun too. Hard to separate fact from fiction when your reading lots of different websites. Will sort it though

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Waiouru
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Just sent you the details Masper
    Nothing has showed up just yet.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,364
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvincent View Post
    Yup looks like a very long road but a lot of fun. Very very noob though so just starting to try and understand what I need. Cases seem like the easy part. Sounds like using the right diameter projectile is a whole lot of fun too. Hard to separate fact from fiction when your reading lots of different websites. Will sort it though
    If it is any help, the 203gr SP projectiles from Barnaul are the same projectiles in the 7.62x54R ammo by Barnaul. There are much higher grades such as woodleigh and hornady etc, so see what you can do.

  14. #14
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,684
    In both of my mosins standard flat base .308 projectiles work perfectly. Makes bullet choice much easier and cheaper, you just have to use a 308 button in the die or they fall out. 150 grain was the standard rifle round weight by the way

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    In both of my mosins standard flat base .308 projectiles work perfectly. Makes bullet choice much easier and cheaper, you just have to use a 308 button in the die or they fall out. 150 grain was the standard rifle round weight by the way
    Cheers for that, I had been trying to find out online what the 91/30s were sighted in for, had also had a little look around at projectiles and noticed people use .308 or .311 so not sure what will be better to feed to my one. Decided finding some brass was a good start though so that's why I chucked this up.

    I will probably buy some new stuff or commercial ammo at some point to get hands on some but thought I would see whats around :-)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-07-2018, 11:14 PM
  2. WTB: Mosin nagant m91/30
    By JASNZ01 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-02-2018, 09:40 AM
  3. WTB: Mosin Nagant M44
    By Spitfiresloth in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 20-12-2016, 04:32 PM
  4. WTB: MOSIN NAGANT
    By silentclouds in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-02-2016, 09:17 PM
  5. WTB: Mosin Nagant
    By turner nz in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 07:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!