Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Mosin Nagant: Eastwood edition (think good, bad and ugly...)

Mosin Nagant: Eastwood edition (think good, bad and ugly...)

Hello

My spare hunting rifle / loaner is for sale. It is the ugly duckling that will never grow into a swan.

Originally a 20 inch carbine, some savage had cut it down to about 19 inches for a suppressor and left it unloved while they took to the stock and turned the original wooden stock into a sporter.

I did what I could with it. I replaced the butchered wood with an ATI cam stock in a pale green and brown. I came with the ATI scope kit and bold handle as the original open sights were gone. The barrel did not like the weight of the heavy suppressor and I did not want to buy another so we made a thread protector that is also a loudner (Muzzle brake) the rifle doesn't really need one but hey I followed the "Sledgehammer principles"...(fit a loudner and "Not all problems can be solved with a gun, buy Hey its worth a shot....")

The camo covering was damaged so the rifle was stripped back to black and I thought I would have a go at painting a camo. While it is a bit ugly, I have been really surprised how well the paint job has lasted. It could easily be removed if you want it in black, but colour does not worry me so I left it.

Details

Mosin Nagant with ATI stock and ATI scope conversion kit.

Threaded for Suppressor and / or muzzle Brake- Brake is included with rifle. (Think of it as a fancy thread protector...)

7.62x54r as all mosins are.

Trigger is not to bad. Rather creepy but not heavy. Practise will help.

Scope is a NC Star 3-9x40 but I am happy to swap it for a Japanese (older ) Tasco 6x40 that is on a rifle I am happy to put the NC star onto.

Weaver rings. (Weaver brand)

Blueing was non existent so seeing as it was a bit of a practise / function rifle, the barrel was painted gloss black with an etching paint (Wattyl kill rust from memory) and looks like a good blueing job until you look closely and see that it is gloss black. This also came up better than I had hoped. The "grey " you can see in the bottom picture is a little bit of scuffing from the stock rubbing on the barrel. It is not a rigid as I would like, it to be, but this is not an expensive rifle either

This is no longer a collectors piece (Unless you collect examples of "Bubba got out again" but it is a fun, LOUD, and reasonable rifle that does what it is expected to do. If someone needs a loaner or a spare for a hunt, this is what I lend them. It teaches respect...(Look after your rifle and you would not be carrying this hideous green BOOM stick...)

Asking $550 with scope and brake. Prefer pick up as I suspect they wont courier it like it arrived (pic included for shits and giggles. NZ post delivered it as you will see below...? Not sure what they thought they were delivering...Harry Potters new broom perhaps?)

Name:  Photo0337.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  567.7 KB

Name:  IMG20190606202644.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  IMG20190606202659.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  IMG20190606202754.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  IMG20190606202806.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  3.81 MB
    Last edited by timattalon; 12-06-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Hello

My spare hunting rifle / loaner is for sale. It is the ugly duckling that will never grow into a swan.

Originally a 20 inch carbine, some savage had cut it down to about 19 inches for a suppressor and left it unloved while they took to the stock and turned the original wooden stock into a sporter.

I did what I could with it. I replaced the butchered wood with an ATI cam stock in a pale green and brown. I came with the ATI scope kit and bold handle as the original open sights were gone. The barrel did not like the weight of the heavy suppressor and I did not want to buy another so we made a thread protector that is also a loudner (Muzzle brake) the rifle doesn't really need one but hey I followed the "Sledgehammer principles"...(fit a loudner and "Not all problems can be solved with a gun, buy Hey its worth a shot....")

The camo covering was damaged so the rifle was stripped back to black and I thought I would have a go at painting a camo. While it is a bit ugly, I have been really surprised how well the paint job has lasted. It could easily be removed if you want it in black, but colour does not worry me so I left it.

Details

Mosin Nagant with ATI stock and ATI scope conversion kit.

Threaded for Suppressor and / or muzzle Brake- Brake is included with rifle. (Think of it as a fancy thread protector...)

7.62x54r as all mosins are.

Trigger is not to bad. Rather creepy but not heavy. Practise will help.

Scope is a NC Star 3-9x40 but I am happy to swap it for a Japanese (older ) Tasco 6x40 that is on a rifle I am happy to put the NC star onto.

Weaver rings. (Weaver brand)

Blueing was non existent so seeing as it was a bit of a practise / function rifle, the barrel was painted gloss black with an etching paint (Wattyl kill rust from memory) and looks like a good blueing job until you look closely and see that it is gloss black. This also came up better than I had hoped. The "grey " you can see in the bottom picture is a little bit of scuffing from the stock rubbing on the barrel. It is not a rigid as I would like, it to be, but this is not an expensive rifle either

This is no longer a collectors piece (Unless you collect examples of "Bubba got out again" but it is a fun, LOUD, and reasonable rifle that does what it is expected to do. If someone needs a loaner or a spare for a hunt, this is what I lend them. It teaches respect...(Look after your rifle and you would not be carrying this hideous green BOOM stick...)

Asking $550 with scope and brake. Prefer pick up as I suspect they wont courier it like it arrived (pic included for shits and giggles. NZ post delivered it as you will see below...? Not sure what they thought they were delivering...Harry Potters new broom perhaps?)

Attachment 113225

Attachment 113226

Attachment 113227

Attachment 113228

Attachment 113229
    @timattalon, congratulations. That is gloriously messed up to look at.

You've channelled your inner Bubba in an exemplary way.
    GravelBen, Scouser and xtightg like this.
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

pic #1 looks like a catwalk model wrapped in packing tape
    Snowgrass, Tikka7mm08 and xtightg like this.

How does it shoot?
    Warm Barrels!

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    LMAO

I was thinking ‘Bad Boy Bubby’.
    Scouser likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

That is 100% Gangsta

It's just asking for a third bubba going over, fluted barrel anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Slug View Post
    It's just asking for a third bubba going over, fluted barrel anyone?
    Name:  hA4BA3BC3.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  50.3 KB
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

Ooh if you get it under $500 you could use it in the under 500 competition!

What ever happened to that anyway?

Oh yeah and don’t drop it in the bush or grass, you’ll never find it again!!
    gadgetman likes this.

I think the bolt can be blued and the magazine housing engraved or polished until its white.

That is exactly how NZ (we dont deliver firearms " Post delivered it. Wrapped in a towel, wrapped in drown tape, Bolt closed on empty.....really not an ideal situation but worth a laugh....

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    How does it shoot?
    I used to get good groups out of Highland but have run out. Barnual does minute of small goat quite nicely but a 203gr SP on a wee goat is a bit of "Mashing a tack with a club hammer". Barnaul was about 1.5 to 2 MOA at 100 last time. It seems to work better without the brake, and is a bit easier on the ears. Barnaul 203gr RN through the carbine barrel does leave a decent muzzle flash. It is actually quite decent to shoot and use. With a plain black stock it actually looks rather normal. It is certainly fun to use at the range......

Quote Originally Posted by Sako851 View Post
    Oh yeah and don’t drop it in the bush or grass, you’ll never find it again!!
    I've never seen grass that green before......