Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: mossberg trigger group

mossberg trigger group

I need a mossberg 500 trigger group. i think a 590 will also fit my 500.

cash, swap or spiritual blessing.
    Tommy likes this.
    Use enough gun

May I ask why? you didn't happen to break the tabs on the front of the group like I did? I fixed mine and works well so far.
    I believe another method is use a maverick (by Mossberg) trigger group. The top tang safety doesn't work but the mav group has a push button safety instead.

b
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    May I ask why? you didn't happen to break the tabs on the front of the group like I did? I fixed mine and works well so far.
    I believe another method is use a maverick (by Mossberg) trigger group. The top tang safety doesn't work but the mav group has a push button safety instead.
    yup, exactly that! such a shame as the rest of it is strong like the ox! Iv had about 5 of these and thrashed them with no problems. The 590a1 has a metal trigger group and fits... ill try get one of those but im not holding my breath!
    Use enough gun

You can get a replacement trigger guard from brownells as from memory shotgun parts arenít subject to the itar rules

I used 5mm screws. Drilled out where the tabs were and tapped them to suit.
    then there was a little judicious grinding of the heads so they fitted the slots in the action when done up. Not brilliant but didn't cost me anything.
    I tried to get one from a local (worlds largest) gun store here in CHCH and they quoted me silly money for one so I said Feck it and fixed myself. been like it for a while and I believe caused misfires. I gave the hammer a little reprofiling and polish and made a lighter firing pin rebound spring just in case that had some input as well.
    Smooth as butta now and after 12 or so packets 100% reliable. Even did a 14 out of 15 at the clay bird club and I was shooting shit up till then so very happy.

I used 5mm screws. Drilled out where the tabs were and tapped them to suit.
    then there was a little judicious grinding of the heads so they fitted the slots in the action when done up. Not brilliant but didn't cost me anything.
    I tried to get one from a local (worlds largest) gun store here in CHCH and they quoted me silly money for one so I said Feck it and fixed myself. been like it for a while and I believe caused misfires. I gave the hammer a little reprofiling and polish and made a lighter firing pin rebound spring just in case that had some input as well.
    Smooth as butta now and after 12 or so packets 100% reliable. Even did a 14 out of 15 at the clay bird club and I was shooting shit up till then so very happy.
    Ok i'm sold. if it improves my shooting then how can I refuse?!
    Use enough gun

Ummm, you do realise its not for sale?
    I was just letting you know they can at least be repaired. If you were local I'd do what I did to mine for you.

Haha, i mean, im sold on fixing mine! I still want the 590a1 trigger group as it is metal... just a bit pricey....
    Use enough gun

ok sweet, My misunderstanding.
    The store was something like 300 from memory-way to pricey. It would have been cheaper to buy a 2nd hand maverick and you get all the other pieces for spares for just over that and get one with the conventional safety. I think I priced a maverick one now I remember.
    Maybe I can take some happy snaps of mine to show you what I did?
    A little buggerising around to get the hole in the right spot and then again with the heads of the screws so the fit properly, but hey it works.
    They sell a tab of steel to do something similar in the states that you epoxy in once you cut a slot in it-mixed results from that apparently but you are probably aware of that already
    I think it was 5mm screws but it was whatever I had that was close to the tab size. Full pan head screws. give you enough meat to play with and a little epoxy putty to fill in the gaps.

ok sweet, My misunderstanding.
    The store was something like 300 from memory-way to pricey. It would have been cheaper to buy a 2nd hand maverick and you get all the other pieces for spares for just over that and get one with the conventional safety. I think I priced a maverick one now I remember.
    Maybe I can take some happy snaps of mine to show you what I did?
    A little buggerising around to get the hole in the right spot and then again with the heads of the screws so the fit properly, but hey it works.
    They sell a tab of steel to do something similar in the states that you epoxy in once you cut a slot in it-mixed results from that apparently but you are probably aware of that already
    I think it was 5mm screws but it was whatever I had that was close to the tab size. Full pan head screws. give you enough meat to play with and a little epoxy putty to fill in the gaps.
    yeah that would be great thanks. it threw me when it first happened, mid way through a shoot...
    Use enough gun

I kept shooting with mine with the odd stuff up, moved to aussie for 10 odd years and it was the first gun I got back for duck shooting and clays. Had a few misfire more than I remembered and cracked the shits. Like I said made new firing rebound spring, changed the angle on the hammer slightly and put the screws in.
    Good enough that a fellow shooter told me it was working a lot better than the time before.

Sorry for the delay -feels like evenings after work go by to quick. I'm still going to sort you out some happy snaps of the finished product. Next couple of nights hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavarick View Post
    cheers, iv seen those. but i want a steel one! and they are sold out...
    Use enough gun