Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill999

Thread: Multi Request / Response thread about acquiring .243

Multi Request / Response thread about acquiring .243

Hi Guys

Let me start off by saying that this may be a bit of a bastard of a thread but please endeavour with me lol.

Here's the deal. My lovely girlfriend has started shooting recently and is mad bloody keen on the sport which is wicked. So i'm thinking a rifle for her birthday present this year!!! Now comes the kicker! I'm dirt poor and wanting it to be a personal gift so I think to my self, I wonder if anyone on here has a .243 with a good barrel and action that they don't use any more because the stock is buggered or its just gathering dust. My thinking has become acquire an action and barrel hand craft a stock to bed it into and there you have it a fantastic personalised gift.

Now i'm not stupid and I understand that unless you know what you are doing you can run into multiple problems and huge fuck up costs which negate the cheap build intention but it has always been something that interests me and I think I want to give it a go. There is no time pressure as her birthday is not until July so I have time up my sleeve.

This is the point that I draw you fine, upstanding, knowledgeable, good looking, successful (is that enough crawling?) people into the fray.

1. If anybody has or has access to a nice CHEAP barrel and action for a .243 could you p.m me and let me know?
    2. If anybody knows where to source (possibly from overseas) the required parts for a budget build could you let me know?
    3. Lastly but not least if I manage to find the required pieces to put this all together are there any kind souls in the Canterbury/South Canterbury area who would be willing to guide me through assembly/bedding and teach me some pointers along the way. (I do supply the whiskey )

My apologies for the length of the post.

Banned
    ive got a under 100 rounds thru it ,one in ten twist winchester barrel for sale.

Pm Sent Neckshot

Parker Hale Safari Super | Trade Me

That could be a good cheap candidate for a tidy-up and some personalisation.

making an entire stock is a massive undertaking, that PH would be a sturdy platform to start with and tutu with. refinish the trigger gard reblue and refinish the stock it would be a tidy low recoil package.

make it easy on yourself, then it will acually happen. and hopefully be on time for her Bday.
    girls and shooting is a good thing to encourage, sadly mine is scared of guns, but in time....

Re: Multi Request / Response thread about acquiring .243

Cheers bill, keep the advice coming guys :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Could get an unimletted boyds stock so its just inletting amd finishing to do. Or just tidy up and peesonalise something like that parker hale. Could strip and refinish that. Could get some nice burning done on it to personalise it too. I love giving things ive made etc but am better with a chisel than a burner (got a stock marked out for carving for a display piece)

As Bill says - making a stock is not a project for the faint hearted, and no I wouldnt try myself without a duplicator or CNC either! If you havent made a fair few things in wood before then probably not the best idea to start practicing on a gift for the mrs Even inletting a stock, hell even bedding one and having it turn out perfect is careful work, (one done fairly well, the other one best never mentioned again...)

Re finishing a slightly tired rifle will give the same personal touch and "labour of love thing" without being too much of a mare, could put on a tiny bit of girly carving? pay to practice heaps first though

Would take a long time.
    VIVA LA HOWA

tidying up a stock is a good wee project. as is reblueing a gun.

I looked into building a stock for myself for a project but it is a huge job, and then if it splits....
    Id like to get into a little carving/checkering as it really brings a stock to life.

pick something that is easy to start with and build momentum, rather than a huge undertaking that just ends up back on trademe as an unfinished project, like the model 70 I baught for less than the price of the mcmillan it was wearing
    hell it made a nice present for my dad, and it makes me feel good seeing it every time we go shooting, and hes shot alot of deer with it
    much better than the disopointment of putting it back on TM after missing her Bday and giving up.
    Happy likes this.