Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Neck Turning Tool

Neck Turning Tool

Hey guys ,has anybody got a Neck turning tool similar to the one in the link below for sale

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/c...prod79313.aspx

Ive got about 700 cases I want to turn down .. so was thinking something like this might speed up things

Sean

First questions - how much money do you wish to spend/how anal are you about results.
    Also, after doing 700 you will be ready to slash your wrists - I hate neck turning but unfortunately I run 3 rifles with tight necks. For my 284 and 6.5x47 I went with the no neck turn option but still did a slight turn to tidy up.
    I started out using an attachment that went on my Forster case trimmer. Basically was useless - you could't do finite adjustments and I ended up shagging a lot of brass thru over turning. (Up the learning curve I went.)
    Now have the K&M tool which is superb but with all the mandrels and carbide cutters for each of my cartridges runs into several hundred bucks. The carbide mandrels also have cutter on them for removing donuts.
    The best turner on the market is the "Pumpkin" but it is more expensive than the K&M.
    The later series Sinclairs are also OK.
    They are also a few others out now that copy the Pumpkin's eliptical method of adjustment.
    I know nothing about the Hornady unit (sorry, the purpose of your posting) but it appears superior to my Forster arrangement that I started with. Appears to have a better adjustment system. Looks like it comes with several mandrels as well which with other brands you have to purchase the mandrels individually.
    If you wish to turn for a tight neck you need one of the better (expensive) machines. You may even need to consider getting a cutter with the correct shoulder angle for your case. Run of the mill turners have a cutter with a standard angle - one shape fits all.
    If are just turning to tidy up and even the neck thickness cheaper ones will do that OK. The Hornady is probably more than adequate then.
    Google "best neck turners".
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-06-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    veitnamcam and Dead is better like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    Hey guys ,has anybody got a Neck turning tool similar to the one in the link below for sale

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/c...prod79313.aspx

Ive got about 700 cases I want to turn down .. so was thinking something like this might speed up things

Sean
    Unfortunately you also cannot rush the turning greatly as amazingly the mandrels heat up (you cannot detect it) and you end up with a variation in neck thicknesses.

Am just wanting to turn the neck on a bulk load of.223/556 that's been converted into 300BLK..and a lot of the brass (necks) are too thick..so ill just run the lot through then ill know they are all in spec.
    I realise this will take sometime to get through,but is necessary to do or brass is useless to me ... Im sure by the time ive had a few cracks at it ,and eventually finish ..ill be ready for mental institute lol

I deprimed/cleaned/trimmed/deburred etc 600 .223 cases ...... took a few missions to complete ... and was ready for a stiff drink or two once finished lol ...
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.

Your Hornady unit would probably be more than adequate for that task. Where ultimate turning accuracy becomes an issue is when using bushing dies to control tension and if you have an existing bush or several bushes and you try you match you turning result to your available bushings. A slight woops and you end up having to get the next size bushing down ($$$). How many thou (or fractions of a mil) do you need to turn?

Its only a small amount that needs turned ... ill check , but is pretty much the dimensions as in vid below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_08yZXnk7ro

I have used a slotted gauge to check size of cases ... all fit fine until I seat a projectile ... then they no longer fit the slotted gauge nor chamber/eject correctly (some will size fine seems to be hit and miss even with same stamp head)
    Yesterday I used a shell holder/cordless drill and some sand paper ..and sanded down the neck ever so slighty, of a case that would not fit prior with projectile seated...case then fitted into slotted gauge and chambered and ejected with no issues with the projectile seated
    Note I wouldn't try and add powder etc and shoot that case I sanded

Hope this helps

The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Got a brand new unopened Hornady hand held one you can have for $50. plus postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Hunter View Post
    Yes and it is freaking awesome. I grabbed the mark 1 version as I'm only working on my swede. You need to size your brass first or they get stuck

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Yes and it is freaking awesome. I grabbed the mark 1 version as I'm only working on my swede. You need to size your brass first or they get stuck
    Ah, DIB that is a case trimmer, not a neck turner - correct me if I am wrong....... Very good gear though.

Yep it is but I'm blaming the thread hijack on kiwi hunter lol!

Hey I liked your info on the turners tho. I looked long and hard at all the ones you mentioned. Do you reckon in hindsight that you would select a no turn neck on a new chambering in future? I'm about to buy my first custom barrel so I'd very much like to know if the neck turning option and a tight neck is worth it (for a 1000m rifle)
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

i use this gadget it turns nice and slow

Name:  IMG_1527 (Medium).JPG
Views: 679
Size:  115.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Now have the K&M tool which is superb but with all the mandrels and carbide cutters for each of my cartridges runs into several hundred bucks. The carbide mandrels also have cutter on them for removing donuts.
    Yep, have the K&M tool - it is very good. More than accurate for my own purposes.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Yep it is but I'm blaming the thread hijack on kiwi hunter lol!

Hey I liked your info on the turners tho. I looked long and hard at all the ones you mentioned. Do you reckon in hindsight that you would select a no turn neck on a new chambering in future? I'm about to buy my first custom barrel so I'd very much like to know if the neck turning option and a tight neck is worth it (for a 1000m rifle)
    @Dead is better Tight necks were all the rage a few years back particularly in Yankee precision shooting who of course we copy. The trend now is away from tight necks and to standard necks. Tight necks offer some advantages in precision alignment of the case/projectile to the barrel and also reduce the amount of case working thru your dies due to the minimal sizing needed. However, cases obviously need neck turning to a high degree of precision and once shooting you need to keep a close eye on the neck clearance in the chamber. If you intend shooting a cartridge that has high brass flow it is easy to get in the poo high pressure wise if your clearance diminishes. If you use good brass (Lapua eg) you can get away from neck turning and use a standard chamber. However, even Lapua brass is not always perfect so sometimes needs a tidy up - a "scrape" off one side of the neck only to true it up. Once you start doing this you mess with the neck tension and need to consider bushing dies. For 1000m I would go non tight neck but minimal neck turning for truing up and use bushing dies. And whilst using a "standard" chamber you would optimally be better to own your own reamer and still fiddle with some of the dimensions including maybe fractionally reducing neck. A tight neck to me is where you have .5 thou clearance side to side ie 1 thou total.
    For standard hunting type accuracy, all of above is hogwash.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Got a brand new unopened Hornady hand held one you can have for $50. plus postage.
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Tools & Gauges :: Case Care :: Neck Turning Tool 1 Each