Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Nice rifle for young hunter

Nice rifle for young hunter

Hi Guys - looking for a nice low caliber rifle for my son to progress onto. 223 seems the obvious choice but would consider anything with low / medium recoil. Preferably with a decent scope and suppressor. He is really the only shooter / hunter in our family so appreciate some help with this. Might be asking a lot but hopefully around a $1000 ish mark. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
    Hi Guys - looking for a nice low caliber rifle for my son to progress onto. 223 seems the obvious choice but would consider anything with low / medium recoil. Preferably with a decent scope and suppressor. He is really the only shooter / hunter in our family so appreciate some help with this. Might be asking a lot but hopefully around a $1000 ish mark. Cheers
    The advice will flow thick and fast with a question like that. For a first rifle there is going to be a need for practise so as well as light recoil, consider ammo supply as well. Something that is easy to get, and not too hard on the wallet.

As far as recoil etc, there are calibres that are lighter recoiling than others. Popular one s would include; 7.62x39, 223, 243, and 6.5x55. but some of these have limitations as to what can be done with them. If shooting smaller game like goats, the 223 and 7.62x39 are cheap to feed, and have a light recoil, but the 223 is probably a bit light in the calibre for a newer shooter to chase deer and the 7.62x39, while capable, is probably limited to around the 100m mark for effectiveness so good in bush etc but not so great on th tops.

243 and 6,5x55 are better for bigger game and are capable out to 200m. All of these calibres are capable of more in experienced hands but in a new shooters hands and abilities, I would limit the distances until the new shooter is sure of shot placement.

Of all the calibres for a new shooter, I would normally recommend a 308. Recoil is not too great specially n a suppressed rifle, there is a large volume of ammunition options, and it is effective on any game in NZ.

Best advice here would be try find someone near you that can lend or let you use their rifle, or better still join a local club. Try some different calibres before you buy one.
    Micky Duck and Pete_D like this.

GWH
    How old is he, how big is he? Want is he planning on hunting?

I've had my mates 8 year old shooting my suppressed model 7 in 7mm08. He is a very little skinny 8 year old and he coped with it just fine.

I've just started developing some reduced recoil lighter weight loads for my 260 and 7mm08 that I'll get my kids shooting, then as they get older I can go up to full power loads.

If you don't reload there are people around that offer that service.
    Pete_D likes this.

https://trademe.co.nz/1487335252

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, plentiful when it comes to ammo and selection, accurate and effective for various hunting situations, soft recoil.

That vtr aren't overly popular because of their different triangle barrel so are pretty cheap but all the ones I've come across have been vey accurate and can still be threaded for a suppressor.
    Pete_D likes this.

After going down this road myself, I have to say that the .223 is enough for youngsters depending on the age.

If you end up with a light rifle due to the nature of its intended use, .308 may well be too much gun to shoot frequently for a youngster even with a suppressor.

Since moving into the .223 my youngest (11) has really enjoyed shooting more and challenging himself to make longer shots (350 yd) on steel in windy conditions with bog standard Winchester ammo.
    My .243 superlight was too much for my son and he didn't want to shoot it after the first shot even though he loves hunting. Sure, he could have learned to deal with the recoil, but that would have been at the expense of accuracy and good habits so the .223 is perfect and he can shoot that as much as he wants without a problem. It has enough power to drop anything up to a Fallow with well placed shots so it's more than enough gun for him.

Back to the OP, managed to pick up a Tikka T3 lite off one of the forums excellent members for a great price so you should be in luck... Ruger have an excellent option too.
    Bernie and Pete_D like this.

Thanks for the advice guys - He is 12 years old and tall, mad keen on Hunting, no idea where he gets that from and I had to get my license a couple of years ago just so he could get his first 22. Last year he got a 22 Magnum and has shot goats / turkeys / bunnines etc on friends farms, he has learned to do everything even tanning skins. I just go with for a nice walk. We have just sold that rifle so he can get a center fire. I more wondered if anyone had nice rifle they wanted to sell ? cheers

sks. cheap as chips to run. good for medium sized game up to 150m.
    if you are based near chch he can shoot mine to see if he likes it

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    sks. cheap as chips to run. good for medium sized game up to 150m.
    if you are based near chch he can shoot mine to see if he likes it
    Thanks but were in Gisborne !

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    https://trademe.co.nz/1487335252

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, plentiful when it comes to ammo and selection, accurate and effective for various hunting situations, soft recoil.

That vtr aren't overly popular because of their different triangle barrel so are pretty cheap but all the ones I've come across have been vey accurate and can still be threaded for a suppressor.
    A mate of mine (@VTR on here) has a Rem 700 VTR in 308, it can certainly shoot well, ive whitnessed it. However they are a bloody heavy rifle i reckon, i would soon get over lugging it around the hills, let alone a 12 year old.

Thanks for the advice guys - He is 12 years old and tall, mad keen on Hunting, no idea where he gets that from and I had to get my license a couple of years ago just so he could get his first 22. Last year he got a 22 Magnum and has shot goats / turkeys / bunnines etc on friends farms, he has learned to do everything even tanning skins. I just go with for a nice walk. We have just sold that rifle so he can get a center fire. I more wondered if anyone had nice rifle they wanted to sell ? cheers
    I love my .223, its cheap to shoot, low recoil, quiet with suppressor, accurate. I had it out on the weekend actually harvesting some wild lambs for the summer BBQ's, 4 shots, 4 head shot lambs out to around 170 yards. Too easy, but if i wanted to only have one rifle for shooting goats/deer id go for something bigger than a .223.

As mentioned by someone eariler, try and go to the range with someone who has various rifles in different sized cartridges and get the lad to shoot a couple of shots with each and see what he can easily tollerate. A suppressed 243 or 6.5x55 or 7mm-08 should be no problem i would think.

Another mate of mine got an old tikka (pre T3, M690 i think) in 6.5x55 with a suppressor for his twin 11 yr old boys to shoot, they had no problem shooting it well.
    Pete_D likes this.

my commiserations for not living in the south.
    the 7.62x39 is a damn good round, bought an sks for the wife but she now seems intent on my 44mag l/a
    308 is you want a bit more "reach" though i now shoot 7mm rem mag.
    Pete_D likes this.

GWH
    If you are down around the Hawkes Bay over the holidays at all, let me know and you can come out to the range with me and shoot some of my rifles to get an idea.
    jakewire, Tahr, gadgetman and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    If you are down around the Hawkes Bay over the holidays at all, let me know and you can come out to the range with me and shoot some of my rifles to get an idea.
    Cheers mate, that would be great help.
    GWH likes this.

Personally id go bigger and suppress it to manage recoil 243 or 7mm-08
    This will give him a little more room for errors with shot placement

I tipped over a deer on the weekend with @craigc's suppressed T3 in 308. I was surprised by how quiet and tame it was. I reckon a 12yr old should have no issues with something like that.
    Pete_D likes this.
    "holy sh*t, there's a deer"

A bit of weight should help not only with recoil but to help keep the rifle a little more steady and on target when's he's all pumped up and adrenaline fueled when he has a deer in his sights.

Kids doing what they love have near endless energy?
    Carrying some weight should help develop the muscles to carry out a deer too. Wish I did more weight bearing exercise when I was young, maybe I wouldn't be so useless now
    dansus, GWH, Dorkus and 1 others like this.