Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By mudgripz
  • 4 Post By TianBotha
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By mudgripz
  • 1 Post By mudgripz

Thread: Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

And you thought rifles were fun.....

Time to sell one of my toys...an extremely tidy Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. Its the 2+2 model in gun metal grey, 1989 with 157k. 300ZX was voted world sports car of the year 6 times in its day and for good reason.

This one is very sound mechanically, has had $4k post-storage work done, and recently had full test and scanning from a 300ZX club mechanic who gave it the thumbs up.

Very strong performer and great fun weekend cruiser. Fitted with very high performance chip and runs beautifully at 350-360hp. This is a genuine 170mph/270kph+ sportscar with superb roadholding to match. Pop some muds on it and it'll be absolutely ideal for hunting esp with the targa tops. $8.5k

An appreciating classic now, mega cool and absolute fun every time you get into it. A man's gotta have fun..
    GravelBen and GMH72 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Pop some muds on it and it'll be absolutely ideal for hunting esp with the targa tops.

When I had the MX5 I always thought it would be a good laugh rabbit shooting from it (in the smoother paddocks) but never got around to trying it.

Ever take the 300XZ out on track to see how hard you can really push it? Great fun

Quick, someone buy it. @mudgripz keeps telling me how quick it goes and what he just did, blow away a Ferrari, get to xxx speed, ... But he doesn't drive it fast.

This thing looks seriously mint.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Everything you can shoot with a targa-top you can shoot with a mate on the back of the ute....just doesn't go as fast.... on the road.
    Good to have interests outside of the field - best of luck with the sale (free bump!!)

I could not possibly comment.....but I might.. The 300s were a supercar in their day and this 89 model had no trouble blowing an 80s ferrari. Epic moment. Only to the speed limit of course...

Bought it when working big hours on the rebuild. Wanted something that was pure fun for the weekends. It certainly delivers that. And you don't need to go fast - VERY strong acceleration but its also very docile and easy to drive round town or out cruising with the targa tops off.

Standard was 280-300hp. I've left this one at 360 or so because it does like to wag its tail a bit and certainly does NOT need more speed. Very easy to pop them up to 400, 600 and 900hp like the GTR.

This one has 17" DTM mags (standard rims 16") and wider rubber, and roadholding is just superb. Wide, flat and zero body roll. Beautifully balanced GT car on the open road.

Have not bothered taking it onto track - speed range is SO high. You really need a Top Gear test oval, autobahn etc to test it safely. My hands are still shaking...nothing to do with car of course..

One of those cars that is just fun whenever you climb into it. Has done the job for me. Great fan of the wee MX5s also - this is like one of those with 3x the horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

When I had the MX5 I always thought it would be a good laugh rabbit shooting from it (in the smoother paddocks) but never got around to trying it.

Ever take the 300XZ out on track to see how hard you can really push it? Great fun
    Once had an old starlet before I went off to basic training, my brother called me and said the water pump had blown and I said how the f did you manage that?! He sent me a photo of the starlet with quad bike tires bolted to it and 2 decent size boars in the back! Water pump couldn't hack the hills on the ways back from the trip hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of our staff used to have a terrano with a 300zx twin turbo engine shoehorned into it and then all sorts of modifications over and above standard, thing was bloody leathal, was a bit of an uneasy feeling having that much acceleration under your right foot in a big rolly suv chassis.
    GravelBen and 223nut like this.

Holy hell... 3-400hp would make for a hell of a 4x4 !!!

Here's the old girl - she sure does like to boogie

Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo 1989 | Trade Me
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    One of our staff used to have a terrano with a 300zx twin turbo engine shoehorned into it and then all sorts of modifications over and above standard, thing was bloody leathal, was a bit of an uneasy feeling having that much acceleration under your right foot in a big rolly suv chassis.
    And I thought the izusu with the 3.2 turbo diesel in a short little thing was fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Holy hell... 3-400hp would make for a hell of a 4x4 !!!

Here's the old girl - she sure does like to boogie

Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo 1989 | Trade Me
    Looks like an Aircraft cockpit there

I looked at 4 performance cars before choosing a 300ZXTT.

Tried a recent MX5 - very neat little driver's car but a bit cramped inside for me and I wanted more grunt. Then road tested a Nissan 350Z - very nice car, excellent power but again cramped feeling inside with bugger all room. Third one was the Toyota Blade Master 3.5 V6. Great little car - essentially a Corolla with 280hp lexus motor stuffed into it. Loved it....but...they were depreciating fast and it just didn't have a cool classic sportscar look to it. Then tested a 300Zx and it had cool in spades - also excellent power (quicker than the later 350Z), space with the 2+2, and of course they are an appreciating classic now.

Did some performance tuning on the 300 and at 360hp its VERY strong. Wanted a manual originally but I have to say I like the old school 4 spd auto now. You never really notice the transmission - too busy hanging on...
    WallyR likes this.

Great father's day present.......
    223nut likes this.