Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BSA270
  • 1 Post By dale
  • 1 Post By longrange308
  • 1 Post By Guypie

Thread: Nissan Regulus

Nissan Regulus

Looking at mid to late 90s Nissan Regulus RS R, are they worth buying? or do they have some expensive common faults?, should I just pay more and get a early 90s hilux?

Have a mate with one. I think it has the 3.2 motor that's he argues is the old 2.7 (bombproof) bore out. It has done 300+kms and the only thing wrong is the rear shocks need some work. Mechanic told him last week that it was good for another decade. All comments second hand FWIW.

I had a 97 2.7 Pathfinder with the intercooled turbo diesel. Great Wagon, did 300,000kms relatively trouble free, not like the 2007 I replaced it with. The 3.2's have much more grunt. Don't touch the later ones with the 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I had a 97 2.7 Pathfinder with the intercooled turbo diesel. Great Wagon, did 300,000kms relatively trouble free, not like the 2007 I replaced it with. The 3.2's have much more grunt. Don't touch the later ones with the 3.0.
    Here's the listing of one I'm looking at on trade me Listing #: 1384765964Seems like a good buy but what would I know hahah

Do very thorough inspection for rust under rear seats. Lift seats and check around seatbelt mounting areas. We have rejected several of these for WOF over the years. Very expensive to repair as they have to have a new floor pan fitted by a certified repairer. Can not be patched. Motors are pretty bullet proof.
    Paddy79 likes this.

Name:  IMG_2050.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  997.8 KB1999 nz new $9500
    223nut likes this.

I'd take a hilux over a Nissan all day, ford over a hilux but that is another issue
    northdude likes this.

As said the 2.7 and 3.2 motors are tough but the 3.0 is known as a hand grenade engine. Toyota boys like to call the 2.7 underpowered but IIRC the intercooled 2.7 makes the same power as the 3.0td Hilux/Surf of the same time (but without the cracked heads )

I have a '96 3.2 with around 250k on it, I've only had it a year or so and had to do a few bits and pieces in that time (glowplugs, starter motor, CV boots, a few bushes and now the alternator has packed up) but I think thats mostly down to the previous owner neglecting maintenance (and me not checking carefully enough before buying) rather than any particular model faults. Reasonably simple to work on anyway which helps.

Drives well, I'm sure its not as capable in the rough stuff as a 'proper truck' Safari or Cruiser but the reality is mine does most of its travel on the road or on tracks that are just a bit too rough for a Subaru, so its a good compromise. 3.2 goes well, subjectively it feels similar to my '07 3.0td Hilux work ute for grunt.

They also handle better than any comparable hilux I ever drove

Cool thanks guys

Check for rust under the wing mirrors too, the facelift models are worse from memory. as has been mentioned avoid ZD30s. QD32s and TD27 are good, but be aware the viscous coupling for the fan can fail and cause overheating but they are cheap to replace so maybe just go ahead and replace it before it is an issue. I have never owned one but used to work at a nissan wreckers and remember trying to find rust free doors and failing despite having a few wrecks to choose from.
    Paddy79 likes this.

Oh, the drivers seats tend to rip the mounts out of the base too. You end up with a small piece of sheet metal bolted to the rail and a hole in the seat base.