Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: old combination rifle/shotgun

old combination rifle/shotgun

Just putting this out there, if someone has a combo to sell, ruffs ok as long as it's useable.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Could easily turn down a .303 barrel (rimmed cartridge) to fit into one side of a 12-gauge double. Would not be collectable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Could easily turn down a .303 barrel (rimmed cartridge) to fit into one side of a 12-gauge double. Would not be collectable though.
    Hmmm, a lot of thought gone into this answer
    Weight wouldn't be a factor to some, but it is to me and your cal is to big.
    But don't give up, a lot have and became the lesser for it. its a battle hardy life the hills men must handle! unless you are on the plane man, then it's just shavings.
    KH
    Last edited by Kiwi-Hunter; 07-06-2019 at 11:14 PM.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi-Hunter View Post
    Hmmm, a lot of thought gone into this answer
    Weight wouldn't be a factor to some, but it is to me and your cal is to big.
    But don't give up, a lot have and became the lesser for it. its a battle hardy life the hills men must handle! unless you are on the plane man, then it's just shavings.
    KH

I suggested .303 as it has a rimmed cartridge, easier to support and extract in a break barrel. 30/30win .22 hornet or 6.5 jap all rimmed too.

It is getting an area to take some professional advice, but re the need to save weight a barrel can be turned down quite far as it will be supported by the SG barrel within which it lies. The host SG can also be a 16 gauge and support a turned down barrel and chamber.

What rifle calibre do you want?

22 hornet, 12 or 16 gauge combos sometimes come up for sale and savage still make a 22 410 i think. They seem to all be in under and over configuration. Antique arms auctions always seem to have one in as well as a few sxs cape rifle combos.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I suggested .303 as it has a rimmed cartridge, easier to support and extract in a break barrel. 30/30win .22 hornet or 6.5 jap all rimmed too.

It is getting an area to take some professional advice, but re the need to save weight a barrel can be turned down quite far as it will be supported by the SG barrel within which it lies. The host SG can also be a 16 gauge and support a turned down barrel and chamber.

What rifle calibre do you want?
    Not hard and fast on any cal reality I was just thinking of small game.

I'll answer Marty Henry here as well, I don't like the later Savage set up, the older savage ok.
    Not after 12 gauge I shoot 20 and a little 410. some of the early models are 20/222 410/22 20/22mag. I do have an u/o short barrels inserts is a thought.
    My sneak around the village is 22 sub with the odd 410 and 20g let off. So something you could interchange has an appeal depending where the hunt is.
    Cordite, sounds like you are able to do that sort of work? It just has an appeal with me. I remember in the 70's when I was across the ditch that I came across my first encounter with a savage 12/222 and it was handy sort of unit given the area. I am thinking handy truck setup very short, that's why! old condition wont matter cut to bits, chopped down to size.
    But if a tidy one turns up then it's not for the chop.
    KH

I have a pretty mint Baikal 410/22 combo if that's of any interest, pm for details.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun nut View Post
    I have a pretty mint Baikal 410/22 combo if that's of any interest, pm for details.
    Thanks for your reply, but what I am looking for is the combo sxs or u/o.
    Thanks
    KH

Further on Cordite's recommendation, this' probably the most eloquent solution I've seen to adapting a shotgun to rifle via barrel insert. It doesn't require modification of the firearm, so can be converted back to original condition by removing the barrel and muzzle extension. Would take a reasonably determined machinist to get right (or a suitably resourceful shade tree gunsmith), but if you already have a sxs or o/u you're saving the money on buying a whole new gun.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...le-conversion/
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Further on Cordite's recommendation, this' probably the most eloquent solution I've seen to adapting a shotgun to rifle via barrel insert. It doesn't require modification of the firearm, so can be converted back to original condition by removing the barrel and muzzle extension. Would take a reasonably determined machinist to get right (or a suitably resourceful shade tree gunsmith), but if you already have a sxs or o/u you're saving the money on buying a whole new gun.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...le-conversion/
    interesting set up, thanks for the post.
    KH

Name:  IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  162.5 KB

ok so here you have

a short chamber .410 adaptor
    a longer .410 adaptor
    an awesome .45/70 full length barrel adaptor
    all fit into .12ga shotgun,the last two were turned to fit by a good mate ...the barrel blank was bought from good chap on here.

the .410 adaptors will handle the .45LC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the .410 adaptors will handle the .45LC as well.
    May rattle the 303 down it as well, don't know about pressures, forgotten some of the info I was given from the usa.
    I looked at may be putting a rifle barrel on and old H&R shotgun frame a good number of years back.
    Should have wrote it down time has faded the thought and out come I think was not to.
    KH

Didnít reloaders have some Baikal sxs 3006ís a few back ?
    Last edited by kawhia; 08-06-2019 at 08:09 PM.

the way I look at it...using rifle barrel as an insert....the barrel /chamber is thick,then surrounded by shotgun barrel...any forces are straight back into a straight flat surface eg the shotgun action....IF you got silly pressure and excess needed to vent it has a large crack for want of a better term to vent out of...if you continue to use hot loads you will rattle action loose...chuck it away and put insert in another.
    single .12ga arent expensive.
    if you have ever fired a remington hypersonic shotgun round......well excess pressure wont be an issue...those suckers are just plain old naaasty,a mid range .45/70 load is tame by comparison.