Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Personal Locator Beacon

Arrow Personal Locator Beacon

Hey all.

Im after a PLB or something similar in purpose.

Will make the wife happy and also prevent me being the next guy to not come home from a walk

Let me know what you have and Im sure we can work something out.

CooeeBay likes this.

rescueME PLB1 ??

Thanks for the suggestion mate yeah thats on the possibility list

SiB
    Its the best deal around.
    It scores on price, battery life and backup!

You might find something second hand for $100 less, but it wont have any of the features and assurances above.

Buy once, cry once (and its not the dearest anyways)

The sense of peace you and wife will experience in having it with you is massive. Well worth doing it right!
    Sako851 likes this.

Jump on this link mate, loiter around on the website for a few days and you will be offered a discount, brings it down to about 3 spot.

https://www.skippersmate.co.nz/kti-s...armband-marine
    gadgetman, rugerman, Pengy and 4 others like this.

KTi from fellow forum member @CooeeBay. Excellent price and battery life.

https://www.skippersmate.co.nz/kti-s...b-marine-pouch
    Gibo and CooeeBay like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Thanks guys I’m checking out all those links.
    I am being a bit cheeky with the second hand stuff I guess, you really do want that assurance that it’s gonna ping when ya need it to

Go with the one Gibo posted. 10 year battery life which is the most of any of them and to your door for $330. Can't go wrong at that price and if you need it you will not regret paying that small amount
    I bought 1 and then 1 for my mate
    CooeeBay likes this.

Gkp
    The Garmin inreach or the previous model Delrome inreach are great multi purpose devices but come with monthly fees. I like it because I often forget to tell someone where I am going so all I do is send a message and the Google earth location is sent to that person to with a text show them where I am. Also can receive weather updates, track and send automatic way points, get accurate elevations. Pairs with your phone via Bluetooth. Rate it!

Got to be better to pay for a PLB with a 10 yr battery than anything less? Some of the 'lesser' PLB's seem to cost a wee bit more than the 10 yr ones quoted above. I don't think the Inreach really replaces a PLB but may compliment one? Good luck with your decision.
    Gkp likes this.

All food for thought thanks guys.
    The reality kind of sets in after they found the missing Tararua trailer today.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunteast View Post
    Got to be better to pay for a PLB with a 10 yr battery than anything less? Some of the 'lesser' PLB's seem to cost a wee bit more than the 10 yr ones quoted above. I don't think the Inreach really replaces a PLB but may compliment one? Good luck with your decision.
    I am on my second battery in a GME accustat which is a very robust unit. Also has a strobe light on top the goes once activated.
    The Delrome/garmin inreach has and SOS function which I believe uses the same emergency call center as a PLB once activated. I would be interested to know if this is not the case.
    Last edited by Gkp; 12-06-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling mistakes and

Think of the difference in battery - PLB once activated does its job. Inreach depending on your weather report/texts will use battery power eventually be less depending on usage on those week long hunting trips etc. I have a friend that use the Inreach - and for best safety reasons also takes a PLB. Inreach type systems are not PLB's but a communication device. And you continue to pay for the plan even though the option to suspend when not using can be used but then on the spur of the moment for that trip to the back of the farm, you need to activate your plan online again? If you have deep pockets maybe a SAT phone too? We have so many options - which is best?

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    The Delrome/garmin inreach has and SOS function which I believe uses the same emergency call center as a PLB once activated. I would be interested to know if this is not the case.
    Not quite.
    The private Garmin service advises RCC of an emergency activation, RCC then co-ordinate the rescue response.
    A NZ encoded PLB signal goes straight to RCC who then initiate and co-ordinate the rescue response.

A PLB will will transmit a position via satellite and broadcast to aircraft for a minimum of 12 hours.
    The Garmin is not a PLB.