Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Cigar

Thread: Pig dog hunting books, or recommendations of books or sites

Pig dog hunting books, or recommendations of books or sites

How's it going guys just got my dog going and realised that he's a pig dog now but I'm lacking on the being a skilled pig hunter side. Looking for books ect to learn about pig dog hunting training ect and rip repair info, dog care ect any info or advice much appreciated thanks

Iíd just Google it up mate. The rest is up to you and your experience. I learnt more off my dogs than they learnt off me.
    Depending on where you are situated will indicate pig numbers, terrain, access and the likes.
    The staplerís are what I always have on hand in my Ute but only use possibly once in a blue moon if dog needs urgent attention.

Iíve read a heap of books ranging from Terry N (a good Rotorua hunter) to Kim Sís many scribblings to Phillip H and the likes but rubbing shoulders with experienced guys/ and girls who often have experienced dogs teaches you all you need to know.
    Until you donít know.

We all get caught out.

On Saturday I cut through two blocks to get to a good bail in Kaingaroa only to find a track came to within 80m of the dogs. No harm done so all is weíll.

Keep in touch.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by 7remmagman View Post
    How's it going guys just got my dog going and realised that he's a pig dog now but I'm lacking on the being a skilled pig hunter side. Looking for books ect to learn about pig dog hunting training ect and rip repair info, dog care ect any info or advice much appreciated thanks
    This may be worth a look.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    It doesn't matter who you vote for, a "politician" gets elected.

That looks like a good informative book for sure.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Andygr View Post
    Cheers mate that's ideal got it on its way

Bill Westwood......... local fella,very talented man...written good book on training dogs and he just plain ol makes sence and cuts through the bulldust...there are a few videos too and will be some stuff online.
    one bit that really stuck in my mind because its just so right was his explanation of how a pig views dogs.....in differing numbers.
    its like being at the pub having a quiet bevy,some yappy little loud mouth comes along and starts to needle you...you stay seated,keep drinking your beer,you can handle this,then his mate comes along and joins in,you getting nervous now,still confident you can handle it but getting ready to start swinging if needed...now 3 more of their mates turn up...you now have 3 choices
    lay down and take a beating
    run like the devil after a yearling
    or fight like your life depends on it,as it probably does....

explains why ??4boars??? think he was on old forum shot so many boars with just one foxy...his back up dog was a 2nd foxy with only 3 legs

and why heading dogs make such awesome pig dogs..they have brains n balance.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post

......why heading dogs make such awesome pig dogs..they have brains n balance.
    And from what I'm led to believe they mostly bail, so you have fewer/smaller vet fees.
    It doesn't matter who you vote for, a "politician" gets elected.

correct but will hold when asked....but I mof the school that says bugger the macho bit,a bullet is oh so much easier. nothing to prove as been there and done that as a young fella....and spent hours helping stitch up dogs too.
    Andygr likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

That explains how my Jack Russell could bail goats deer and pigs. I always figured the quarry thought “it looks like a dog but is so small it must still be far away so no need to worry yet”.
    Andygr likes this.