Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 91
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Pig problem

  1. #1
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950

    Pig problem

    Bloody feral Pigs are becoming a real pain.
    We have a small creek that feeds our water to our home and my neighbors batch (who does not live here luckily)

    In dry summer conditions - Pigs start using the creek and silt then comes down the line etc etc
    We are into dry conditions already and I have managed to shot 3 in last month - but want something else to assist.

    Does anyone have or know of leg hold traps that some early day Deer captures used to trap Deer
    They are a plate trip with snare that is spring loaded into a 1" alkathene pipe and will hold a pig n problem.

    Any other suggestion appreciated - but don't mention dogs - I have a good chap with good dogs but its now just to hot.
    Its 90% sows with litters too - and good dogs will go right past them (at least they should if they are any good - which of course every pig hunter says they have the best

    Name:  0119.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  136.0 KB

    Name:  0228.JPG
Views: 605
Size:  148.5 KB

  2. #2
    Member Boar Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Above the Hutt
    Posts
    900
    How many pigs? Are they there every day?
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

  3. #3
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Yes - as you see in pics - I did some coons just to draw them in.
    How many ??
    Well I know of at least another 5-6 sows like that one on right (that fatter one I shot the next morning) she was in pup too
    Also a skinny boar hanging around and then some 10-15lb litters and yearling sows - prob all up not counting the tidlies - 15 - 20 in the immediate area.
    But we back onto 1000's of acres.

    They are as cunning as foxes - and now the bush is so dry stalking near on impossible.
    If I sat up that tree were Cam is i would get one or two - but its 30C + and I getting to old and lazy for that
    Will have another Thermal hand held in 10 days - so will put a more solid effort into locating in the regen pine on daylight etc

  4. #4
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    3,560
    What about a cage type trap?

  5. #5
    Member Boar Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Above the Hutt
    Posts
    900
    Yes they are smart and they learn really quick. Was trapping them full time for a few years before moving to NZ. I would try enclosure trap if you have time. Check Jagerpro on you tube just ignore the military crap. They cover the basics of trapping. If you still have the problem in a few months time can come over and help. By than I will be only a ferry trip away from you.
    Friwi and Paddy79 like this.
    Nothing is tough about having a 70 lb bow and looking like an uncoordinated praying mantis while trying to draw it back.

  6. #6
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Yes they work well apparently.
    But were do I get one and I not the sort to build myself - never was any good with Meccano as a kid

    I imagine you would use reinforcing mesh
    Anyone got a bucket of 1080 they not using

  7. #7
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Boar Freak View Post
    Yes they are smart and they learn really quick. Was trapping them full time for a few years before moving to NZ. I would try enclosure trap if you have time. Check Jagerpro on you tube just ignore the military crap. They cover the basics of trapping. If you still have the problem in a few months time can come over and help. By than I will be only a ferry trip away from you.
    Interesting site - thanks - they are big Traps
    Thermal is the way to go in that open farmland - here - you can locate them from 3-700m away looking down into the crap they are in - but then trying to get into them through the thick gorse and regrowth is ni on impossible.

  8. #8
    Ejected
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    HBC, NORTH of Auckland
    Posts
    5,250
    Open to letting a few trusted forumites have a crack?
    Charge em $80 a pig or whatever and make some toy money, you get pigs under control, they get bacon and a place to shoot.
    faregame, Gerbs, Tommy and 4 others like this.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    3,250
    we used to have a pig trap on a block made with small sized hole concrete reinforcing mesh 50mm x 50mm I think. dug into the ground about 300mm and held up with warratahs with braces onto them the door was a double swinging door that could be pushed open from the outside after it was first tripped so other pigs could push in if they wanted once you got the first one.it was about 10m across on widest part and trigger wire was about two thirds away from door to try to get sows with litters in one go.we had water and bit of a place for them to lie in that seemed to make them a bit calmer to minimise the escape attempts.other ones we had where about the size of a stock crate off a single cab ute fully roofed over with scrub or something over the top.they don't seem to like steel on the bottom of traps.shame you so far away like trapping pigs.good luck.

  10. #10
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Open to letting a few trusted forumites have a crack?
    Charge em $80 a pig or whatever and make some toy money, you get pigs under control, they get bacon and a place to shoot.
    They might shoot my pet Deer :-)

    No - part of Lease agreement - no sub letting the hunting.
    I also want the pigs reduced to try and improve the feed level for the Deer - as I bring in a few Eastern Europeans Home-stay - hunt added in as extra (def no Trophy offered - just to see Deer is enough and shoot one for meat etc.
    There is no road access into here either.
    Nibblet likes this.

  11. #11
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    we used to have a pig trap on a block made with small sized hole concrete reinforcing mesh 50mm x 50mm I think. dug into the ground about 300mm and held up with warratahs with braces onto them the door was a double swinging door that could be pushed open from the outside after it was first tripped so other pigs could push in if they wanted once you got the first one.it was about 10m across on widest part and trigger wire was about two thirds away from door to try to get sows with litters in one go.we had water and bit of a place for them to lie in that seemed to make them a bit calmer to minimise the escape attempts.other ones we had where about the size of a stock crate off a single cab ute fully roofed over with scrub or something over the top.they don't seem to like steel on the bottom of traps.shame you so far away like trapping pigs.good luck.
    Interesting - that is what i thought a trap would be made like etc - BUT - not mesh on the floor ??
    Because it stops them coming in ????
    Would need to be well anchored if no floor - they can sure push

  12. #12
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    3,761
    Traps are a good option. There was a pamphlet put out by the national possum control agency in 2008 that contained diagrams pictures of traps in action and materials lists. There was also a lot of other boring govt deptartment stuff.
    I built a few of their smaller design and they were quite sucessful.
    I have a download of it and one from the texas agrilife extension service with miore designs on a backup somewhere, but it will take some finding.
    Their website is NPCA and the texas one should be easy to find. Texas has a big feral pig problem.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    southland
    Posts
    3,250
    that's why you have to dig the bottom in at least 300mm and if got really pushy pigs cut some rebar rod 600 long then bend some short bits in a u shape and weld to side of long piece use like a tent peg about 1 to 1.5m apart along the bottom.the door trigger was a wire between to warratahs through a pulley to the door onto a piece of angle hinged in the middle with wire attached beside hinge.bait is put just in front of wire which is about 300mm off the groundalwys try to have the bait uphill of trip wire as pigs will nose it a bit before eating normally pushing it into wire tripping door.

  14. #14
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    that's why you have to dig the bottom in at least 300mm and if got really pushy pigs cut some rebar rod 600 long then bend some short bits in a u shape and weld to side of long piece use like a tent peg about 1 to 1.5m apart along the bottom.the door trigger was a wire between to warratahs through a pulley to the door onto a piece of angle hinged in the middle with wire attached beside hinge.bait is put just in front of wire which is about 300mm off the groundalwys try to have the bait uphill of trip wire as pigs will nose it a bit before eating normally pushing it into wire tripping door.
    Digging down 10cm here in the boney stony rocky clay crap is hard enough
    To dig a perimeter or 30cm or so ??? - with a digger yes :-)
    Do you have in photos of those traps ??

  15. #15
    Member Sarvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Marlborough
    Posts
    2,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Traps are a good option. There was a pamphlet put out by the national possum control agency in 2008 that contained diagrams pictures of traps in action and materials lists. There was also a lot of other boring govt deptartment stuff.
    I built a few of their smaller design and they were quite sucessful.
    I have a download of it and one from the texas agrilife extension service with miore designs on a backup somewhere, but it will take some finding.
    Their website is NPCA and the texas one should be easy to find. Texas has a big feral pig problem.
    Cheers for that info - will study up

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. GPS map problem
    By sako75 in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 24-03-2017, 03:38 PM
  2. die problem?
    By northdude in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 15-01-2016, 06:03 AM
  3. Problem
    By Neckshot in forum Off topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-12-2013, 06:23 AM
  4. Dog with a little problem
    By Chris in forum Hunting Dogs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 08:15 PM
  5. Dog with a little problem
    By Chris in forum Dogs
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!