Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By muzza
  • 3 Post By specweapon

Thread: Pistol caliber lever action?

Pistol caliber lever action?

A friend who does home kill needs a pistol caliber non-semiauto rifle. I'm suggesting lever action. Maybe 9mm? Anybody got anything like that they want to unload? It'll be a work gun so nothing flash is needed.

how about a 357 single shot ? Rossi makes them , Hand R make them . Cheap and cheerful.
    R93 and SlowElliot like this.
    Cats have nine lives-which makes them ideal for experimentation...

You will want at least .357 magnum or .44 magnum. Anything bigger you will have to reload.

Lever action rossi's can be had for a good price. The cost of ammo is small if it only takes one shot each time.

One time when I was doing beef a crusty old bull came in. He took 10+ captive bolts and was still going. I would strongly discourage 9mm and even .45acp. Get a magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by tararua View Post
    You will want at least .357 magnum or .44 magnum. Anything bigger you will have to reload.

Lever action rossi's can be had for a good price. The cost of ammo is small if it only takes one shot each time.

One time when I was doing beef a crusty old bull came in. He took 10+ captive bolts and was still going. I would strongly discourage 9mm and even .45acp. Get a magnum.
    there is nothing a 44 mag wont drop when pressed and fired to the skull. those 300gr hornadys will make a real mess though and make sure your feet arent in the line of fire.

There was a just over legal length, break action 9mm on trademe last year for $100, would have been just the job. Always the way eh?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by tararua View Post

Yeah mate, I only use my rossi 44 mag for beasts now seen to many animals needing more than one shot with smaller calibers.

7.62x39mm bolt action would be very safe option,plenty of ammo that will do the job without fuss,you can do subsonic reloads for less than 50 cents a piece that will penetrate skull but seldom exit....what I use for my house muttons at 25-50yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    There was a just over legal length, break action 9mm on trademe last year for $100, would have been just the job. Always the way eh?
    Might have been my old one, a camo green sawn off 12ga shotgun with a sleeved pistol barrel loktited in the chamber. Used to shoot Minute of Acre
    Boar Freak, tararua and rossi.45 like this.