Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rossm-96
  • 1 Post By Husky1600

Thread: portable electric fence

portable electric fence

hey team,

after a portable electric fence, long story, looking after a mates property and i need to move two belligerent angus destined for the works / freezer, got the better of me last time, orchard nearly became the new paddock, then they managed to very quickly F*** up too good sized pine trees in the next paddock, was a comedy of errors, mate said they would just walk by themselves......Like Fark!

was considering "rule 303" but thought against it

so, anyone with an old portable electric fence and possibly a few standards that they don't need, let me know, I'm in the midst of getting new batteries for the one that is here but just in case the "fark up fairey" visits, this time i am going to make sure they go where i intend them to go......

thanks
    www.allaboutenfields.co.nz dedicated to a great old rifle thatís still knocking them over!

Got gear you can borrow but Iím in Dunedin. Let me know if you are passing through.

Thank you for the offer, will keep it in mind
    www.allaboutenfields.co.nz dedicated to a great old rifle thatís still knocking them over!

Hey @Tertle are you trying to move them?
    How used to you are they? Used to strangers full stop....cattle can get awful funny with new folks around!
    If it's just keeping them in the one spot then electric fence is the way to go...which your sorting
    But if it's moving them move slowly and quietly no sudden movements and always whatch which way the heads going cause the body's going that way sooner or later....apart from that take a few mates as they should go with out a fuss once they see they can't beat ya...if they do well there's a few more to help out with the BBQ
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

a bag of grain is cheeper mate

or trail a little hay

give em a taste first then wander off making noise with the sack it comes in

I am in chch and have one you could borrow.
    Tertle and Sideshow like this.

trust me i used kindness, hay and treats, @rossm-96 if i get stuck i may hit you up, I've now got them very used to me but im not making the same mistake twice......

I had a problem last year with some Jersey bulls, wanted to kill me, kill the dogs, demolish a massive matagouri etc etc. Took the dogs back to the kennel, got the truck instead of the 4 wheeler, and my CO2 air pistol. Every time the offender looked like he was headed in the right direction I shot him in the arse! Worked as good as an electric fence. Next morning I had to get them in to go on the truck. Problem bull didn't want to take me on again, but one of his mates decided to be a pain. Again the air pistol worked amazing, I could see the copper BB's shining in the sun as they hit him in the arse! Bulls all got on the truck no problems.
    Tertle likes this.