Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Procedure for purchasing an E-CAT Firearm

Hello

Anyone that has done this will be able to help. I知 about to get my E-cat Endorsement in the post (Finger Cross soon). Now If I wanted to buy an e-cat from the shop what is the procedure?.

Eg do I go to the Gun Shop say I値l have that one, show them my licence and money. Then fill in a POL67X and drop this off to the Local AO police station with the firearm.

Second question, is there a max of e-cats you are allowed to own, myself I知 only looking and getting 2 or 3

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Trevs View Post
    Hello

Anyone that has done this will be able to help. I’m about to get my E-cat Endorsement in the post (Finger Cross soon). Now If I wanted to buy an e-cat from the shop what is the procedure?.

Eg do I go to the Gun Shop say I’ll have that one, show them my licence and money. Then fill in a POL67X and drop this off to the Local AO police station with the firearm.

Second question, is there a max of e-cats you are allowed to own, myself I’m only looking and getting 2 or 3

Cheers
    You will need your licence and go and see the arms officer to get a permit to procure for the mssa you want. Once you have that you take it to the gun shop and purchase the firearm. You then take the rifle and permit back to the police and they fill out their bit and it then gets put on your endorsement.
    The gun shop won't sell or give you the rifle without the permit. Regardless if you have the endorsement.
    And I don't think there is a maximum number of allowed endorsed rifles.

I hope this helps. All else fails, go ask the arms officer. Without them, the process stops

Yes. Fill one of those out and take it to the AO. They then fill out a permit and you go from there.

It's an easy process and you need the permit to procure to shoot an mssa. They last for 30 days I think

Quote Originally Posted by jim160 View Post
    Yes. Fill one of those out and take it to the AO. They then fill out a permit and you go from there.

It's an easy process and you need the permit to procure to shoot an mssa. They last for 30 days I think
    Yeah, that's correct, legally, for your endorsed mate to shoot your E-cat, he needs an approved P2P and you need one to get it back of him. Its hilarious and Police HQ are laughing that nothing is ever going to change with that.
    Welcome to Sako club.

What do people do with their PTP once it expires?

Just bin it.

In the PTP I see it ask for a description including serial number, I assume that gets filled in after you purchases your e-cat firearm or do you need to know this information before you get the PTP?.. As I would of thought that info is on the POL 67x form.

http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...l-67x-form.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Just bin it.
    Thanks for that. I wasn't too sure what to do with my copies.

In the PTP I see it ask for a description including serial number, I assume that gets filled in after you purchases your e-cat firearm or do you need to know this information before you get the PTP?.. As I would of thought that info is on the POL 67x form.

http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...l-67x-form.pdf
    No you don't need the serial numbers, just the description of the mssa, ie ar15, slr.
    Numbers get put on it when you take the permit and rifle to the AO after purchase.

^ what he said

Trev's

I would be intereested to understand how difficult you found it getting your E Cat. I am just getting back into shooting after a number of years away and I am keen to buy and E Cat AR if I can. I need to buy a safe etc so dont want to spend the extra money on an E Cat safe if I can only store a cat firearms. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
    Trev's

I would be intereested to understand how difficult you found it getting your E Cat. I am just getting back into shooting after a number of years away and I am keen to buy and E Cat AR if I can. I need to buy a safe etc so dont want to spend the extra money on an E Cat safe if I can only store a cat firearms. Thanks
    Are you aware that until 11 June Police had waived the fee for MSSA endorsement if you had bought a rifle previously classifed as A-cat and effected by the Arms Act amendment 2012 changes. All you needed was the security in place and applied for the endorsement.

Now you'll have to go through more hoops and pay.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
    Trev's

I'm kind of still waiting for my e-cat to get processed. I've been waiting since 22nd April
    Now after the 11 June you will first need to fill in a one of these forms, that will cost you just over $200 when it gets processed
    http://www.police.govt.nz/sites/defa...l-67h-form.pdf.

fill in all the details and hand that in to any police station and the will forward it to the Arms Officer.

Then if the take your 200 then quickly go get your self an e-cat safe. Even if you never get e-cat firearms its always better having the stronger safe for your a cat rifles