Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By stickle7
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem

Thread: A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: SCAMS

A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: SCAMS

We have had a member scammed by an international scammer. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....rs/theeclipse/

Be cautious buying from members with low post counts or new members. Check the post history of anyone you are buying from and see if they look legit - a series of low-content posts to build up a post count with minimal effort may indicate a scammer. See the post history of the user above for an example.

Any seller that wants to use Paypal for a transaction inside New Zealand is a huge red flag; there is no good reason to use Paypal for domestic transactions however it's perfect for international scammers.

If you're provided an email address to communicate with by a seller (or a Paypal address), google it and see if it is flagged as suspicious/a scammer anywhere.

Be cautious and use common sense.

THIS IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION TO BE OVERLY RUDE TO NEW MEMBERS POSTING IN THE BUY/SELL SECTION.

kw
    Yes, I had the same situation but my caution saved the day.
    dannyb likes this.

@gimp would love to see a 10 post or even 20 post block where a poster in the BSS section would need to have 20 posts on the forum before being able to post in the BBS section

most scammers wouldn't bother and if they did it would be quite easy to tell from recent posts... i had a run in with a scammer on here a few months ago on here this is the 1st thing that made me feel "uneasy" with a recent post history of 3 posts being nice, cool and nice then he asked me to kindly pay in bitcoin or paypal THANKS BUT NO THANKS report to mods and he was swiftly banned

would also have the added bonus of stopping people joing to use as free trademe
    they would need to show a willingness to participate in the NZHS community
    bunji likes this.