Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT 

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Quad bike

PM sent
    Just...say...the...word

Looks like Flyblown is taking it
    Shootm, tetawa and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    As said earlier, these things are bullet proof. Best four wheel bike ever made. Go ask any bike shop how they would rate the tin tank 300. You won't need to state the make, they will know.
    They aren't as grunty or comfortable as the newer bigger fuel injected ones, but they will outlast them.
    One plus also, they have a small footprint, so will fit in the back of some double cab ute wells.
    The one I got had been rolled when the trailer got a run on it and took over. Twisted the tow bar and the front of the chassis, smashed a few drietrain bits but was still running as a 2wd (did someone mention how tough these things are?). Major electrical gremlins when I got it including the magic smoke pouring out the front - all the switches were full of mud and crud so it wasn't starting or running properly, i've pulled the switches apart and cleaned them out and replaced the battery and it's now starting and running mint. Replaced the smashed drivetrain bits which meant a few other bits needed doing - just to get to the bits that needed replacing (hate cow crap, it = corrosion!). Now back to full 4wd, and in a quiet moment I straightened the tow fitting and the worst of the twist up front. Got to do a few rust spots in the chassis next, and take some slack out of the brakes so they work properly. Found that out today with the brakes - went to pick up the kid off the bus and on the way back ran over a lump of grass next to the drainage ditch. Except it wasnt a 'lump' of grass it was clump hanging in mid air. Ended up with the bike sliding slowly backwards and sideways into the ditch ending up at 45deg right side down (with the fuel pickup on the high side, typical). Had to drive it out coughing and trying to quit on me, used every bit of the 4wd to do it but the little trooper drove itself out before it stalled. Started right up once it was on the level though, i know a few other machines that would have needed to be pulled out.

Flyblown is getting a good deal there, well looked after ones are not easy to get hold of.
    Shootm, 7mmwsm and nevereadyfreddy like this.

mechanicals last forever. Only thing that you have to watch out for is chassis rust in the frame

Yup, @nevereadyfreddy will have to be a crook selling a lemon for me not to be towing this home in the next few days. Been looking for one of these for a while, have been to look at a couple that were too far gone (ex-dairy). So delighted and thanks mate for the flexibility on timing to come over on the phone today, appreciate that.
    paremata likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Great machines. Get some new back tyres on it to keep the rolling profile the same, should always replace all 4 on a 4wd, helps keep the ratio even front to rear.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Great machines. Get some new back tyres on it to keep the rolling profile the same, should always replace all 4 on a 4wd, helps keep the ratio even front to rear.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    That's possibly the one issue with them (apart from the chassis rust and the fact they were assembled without bloody anitseize...). The full time 4wd is good for chewing out front tyres if you have to turn tight on hard ground - and on gravel the things hunt from side to side as they go around the corner (almost like it's winding one wheel up and a time then the opposite side decides to grip). Only an issue if you are having to turn full lock and back from where you came, but it's not ideal in terms of rolling diameter.

She's a minter!

Thanks mate. Looking forward to some fun in the paddocks this weekend.
    7mmwsm, JoshC, Gibo and 1 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word