Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Quickload - worth it, if so where best to purchase

Hi - have seen this programme referred to a few times...as a serial reloader it looks good with the ability to esp give a rough idea of internal goings on...eg pressures vs bullet seating depth changes.

Any recommendations from current users...and if worth buying where from?

The only source to buy it is from the people who make it, it costs a fortune and isn't really that accurate, more of a toy than anything. I got it for free

Oh really, ok...sounded good.

As gimp says, expensive. I was keen to get it until I saw the price on their website. Have since had my one of my rifles and load run thru QL by a guy on an Aussie forum and have a hugely comprehensive report which I am going to do.......nothing with. Apparently I need to increase my load to reach the next optimum node (already at max load so cannot increase) or chop a bit off my barrel to fall into the next node down mmmmm. If you are into wads of info QL is for you, othewise...

Thanks for that...thought it might come on disc so easy to pass on if someone was finished with it...but sounds like it is not worth much effort despite a review I read on 6mmBR.

I disagree. QL is a must have IMO. Understand the limitations of a simulation and interpret accordingly.

How much do you need to get next to the sweet spot. Usually you start about 2 grains off it.The maxi load is not usually the best surprisingly enough. Barrel harmonics can destroy the best simulation.

"Its a poor workman who blames his tools" - Quickload is a great tool but needs a bit of thinking to make best use of it, and I'd say you can't do it without an accurate chronograph. Most of my rifles are within 20 fps of "predicted" velocities once I get all the input variables sorted. You only have to do this for one powder, then you can change and get very accurate results for other powders. It helps particularly when operating at the upper end of pressures, one of my rifles was about 80 fps higher than initially predicted, but when I pinned things right down it was probably operating at nearly 70,000 psi, and as soon as I changed to a new batch of brass, ooops, primer pockets were getting loose after 2 or 3 reloads - time to back the truck up a bit !!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    "Its a poor workman who blames his tools" - Quickload is a great tool but needs a bit of thinking to make best use of it
    This +1

Within the obvious limitations of a piece of simulation software, I think you can still get enormous benefit from it. I don't have a copy, but another forum member runs simulations for me and it has provento be very valuable to look at specific problems.

The biggest single benefit I have seen so far is to evaluate the efficiency of different powders again each other, and to help decide which powder choices are worth testing.

Also good to get to grips with pressure for different case capacities.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

I *do* use it a lot and pretty much never look at book data anymore.... can be accurate when you calibrate it to your fired case size etc. Sucks for short barrels, doesn't seem to get that right at all once you get down to the 12.5 length