Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By annzer
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Rabbit live capture traps

Rabbit live capture traps

We have a small issue here with a few rabbits getting into our and our neighbours plantings. It is not a safe area to use a 22 otherwise the problem would have been solved......

Wondering if anyone has used cage rabbit traps and what techniques get decent results (Baits etc)

Does anyone in CHCH area have a couple traps I could use / try before I go buy some? I dont want to buy 3 or 4 then find out a different trap would have worked better or that I got the wrong ones. I dont want to use kill traps or leg hold (Gin type) as there are other animals in the area I do not want to injure (Pukekos, parrys, pets etc)

I have tried repellant to make them eat other stuff but to no great success.

Thinking something like this.
    Name:  trap.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  324.0 KB

Have a chat with the council, they, ay have something you could borrow, know that some councils do for possum and magpie cages

Here is a link to a simple box trap you can make in a couple hours with some scrap timber. I used to make these when I was a kid and they work well although that one looks small. Should be 200mm square and a metre long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yno7VgDyZd0

I've used cage traps (haverheart) is the brand I think. I used one to catch cats. I prefed first, having the trap wired open with some bait in there. Once the baits were being taken i set the trap. Worked sweet. maybe carrots or apples for bait.

I found it easier to catch things with walk through traps.https://www.maintracgroup.com/collec...ap-tunnel-trap
    They caught animals that were trap shy. In two traps this year I have caught 27 cats 3 ferrets and a stoat. I would build a tunnel with a simple slide on each end. The old see saw traps worked well and you could build those yourself. https://www.thehuntinglife.com/forum...-see-saw-trap/ I have a three S approach to cats, shoot shovel and shut up as I have dotterels breeding and you can't have everything, either I have birds or I have cats.
    Animals need an exit, they love running down pipes and tunnels. I had no luck with eggs in traps ended up with liver/heart minced. I don't know what rabbits like best, if they are not hungry you need to make an interesting trap that they run down out of curiosity. My best ferret trap was two 4" clay tiles with a gin trap in a gap in the middle, around a dam I got 13 of the buggers.
    Cordite likes this.

You should have a look at longnets or fencing and a "rabbit box type trap" im sure Google would pick one out.
    This is the sort of thing i meant, Drop Boxes | Landmark Rabbit Control and Rural Pest Management
    Last edited by davhope; 02-01-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Air rifle?
    DLW likes this.

Night vision sight on a silenced .22
    Time is running out. Sign the COLFO 2nd tranche petition HERE.

They love to walk through culverts, pipes or tunnels - a Fenn 6 is lethal in the culvert - but they don’t take prisoners

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Night vision sight on a silenced .22
    My problem is no no safe direction in case of ricochet or pass through....Not complaining as we knew this going in. Once we are a bit more built up I suspect the rabbit problem will settle down. In the meantime the landscaping is taking a hiding....

If you are keen use 80lb nylon with running bowline for your snare. Pick yp some rbbit droppings from a different set and sprinlke them other side of your snare. Fix with a bit of no8 wire.
    https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/running-bowline
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by annzer View Post
    I found it easier to catch things with walk through traps.https://www.maintracgroup.com/collec...ap-tunnel-trap
    They caught animals that were trap shy. In two traps this year I have caught 27 cats 3 ferrets and a stoat. I would build a tunnel with a simple slide on each end. The old see saw traps worked well and you could build those yourself. https://www.thehuntinglife.com/forum...-see-saw-trap/ I have a three S approach to cats, shoot shovel and shut up as I have dotterels breeding and you can't have everything, either I have birds or I have cats.
    Animals need an exit, they love running down pipes and tunnels. I had no luck with eggs in traps ended up with liver/heart minced. I don't know what rabbits like best, if they are not hungry you need to make an interesting trap that they run down out of curiosity. My best ferret trap was two 4" clay tiles with a gin trap in a gap in the middle, around a dam I got 13 of the buggers.
    Great job on the Cats!! Salted Rabbit meat is a very good bait for ferrets and Cats. Salted stays fresh smelling whereas unsalted goes off in a day. Oats and Barley as bait for Rabbits.
    timattalon likes this.