Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By Mauser308
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY

Thread: RECOVERY TRACKS

RECOVERY TRACKS

Christchurch, don't want to spend a 100

Presume you mean 4wd tracks i.e. maxtrax? Think they are 300 new for a pair!

I was going to make my own by cutting the base from plastic bread crates (make rectangular vs square shape) and link them together using Paracord or similar. If loosely, but firmly tied, they would flip over and stack on top of each other.

SiB
    There some on TM for 100 as you say (Iíve got a set but untested as yet); I canít differentiate them from the $300 version

Bread crate or similar with heavy duty cable ties or Paramore sounds like a good idea too!

Donít forget to attach a long light rope to lift them out of the sludge after use. Useful to hold on to too if you throw them in a creek to wash the mud off before packing away

The cheap plastic ones on trade me are brittle and if not fully supported on mud or sand will break very easily. All the plastic boards are designed to have support under them but those cheap ones aren't up to the job. Don't use them to bridge gaps in a track, even good tracks will break, If you want budget, I would consider the rubber ones on trade me for $79 before buying the cheap plastic ones. I have a set of Supercheap tracks that are about 10 years old, they are wearing out now but have lasted well. Avoiding wheel spin will help increase the life span of plastic tracks. My advise is, if you think you will nee them then splash out a bit so you know they are dependable.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Heavy canvas reinforced conveyor belting does a similar job, but while cheep it is quite heavy and bulky.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Thanks for all the info, thought was, more as an insurance policy, in case I FkUp, may never get used, only got a hairdressers AWD.
    Lack confidence unless traveling in pairs, my better half even less so; just want to get out and about to show her some great country. Have snap straps and other basic recovery stuff. Looking at doing the Rainbow, Molesworth - Subaru Outback, bridgestone AT tyres.

You'll be fine doing rainbow (assuming its not 3ft snow when you need 2 pairs of chains on the lamdcruiser....) maybe not maling or edwards pass.

A spade and a good hand winch will likely be more use if you get stuck when alone, although recovery tracks do have their place.
    With a low slung vehicle your biggest risk is becoming bellied so thats where a bit of digging first can be beneficial.
    Molesworth and Rainbow are solid gravel roads and easily drive able in the dry. If you want some company on a trip through either we may be able to tag along for support.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    . If you want some company on a trip through either we may be able to tag along for support.
    +1 if i'm around. Although they close the roads for winter

Thanks Guys for all the advise, will pick the weather, pack a full sized spade & hand winch.
    Took a look at the Lees Valley a while back, she moaned most of the way, on the way back she even opened some gates. Didn't try to get over the Waikuku river, has a nasty far bank to grapple up and over, hasn't been graded in a long time. Don't think the locals want it graded either.

There are plenty of places you can get into without a 4WD, explore away. Common sense applies.
    veitnamcam likes this.

as well as a full sized shovel get a collapsible army shovel or one of those $10 dollar ones from mitre10 that are real short , much easier under a vehicle and unless digging for more than 5ft will be the most used and also one of those hand winches with some extra rope and some sort of ground anchor will get you out when you belly the car.

Going anywhere the possibility of getting stuck is real, I take a sledgehammer, couple of ground anchors and a 3t chain block, a high lift jack, a 5t hydraulic jack with a ground plate, a short shovel and a spade. And a couple of tow straps. You go out in the boonies, do it on the basis "it will happen" and be prepared to get yourself out of trouble without help. Take a ground sheet for when you find yourself lying under the truck digging.

A useful "winch" trick: jack a wheel station, wrap a sling around the wheel, get your jack back out, anchor the other end of the strap and drive up the strap.

If you would like a nice strong ground anchor for free, I left one stuck in the ground/rock up the Macauly river a couple of years ago near the willows bend, yours if you can find it........

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Going anywhere the possibility of getting stuck is real, I take a sledgehammer, couple of ground anchors and a 3t chain block, a high lift jack, a 5t hydraulic jack with a ground plate, a short shovel and a spade. And a couple of tow straps. You go out in the boonies, do it on the basis "it will happen" and be prepared to get yourself out of trouble without help. Take a ground sheet for when you find yourself lying under the truck digging.

A useful "winch" trick: jack a wheel station, wrap a sling around the wheel, get your jack back out, anchor the other end of the strap and drive up the strap.

If you would like a nice strong ground anchor for free, I left one stuck in the ground/rock up the Macauly river a couple of years ago near the willows bend, yours if you can find it........
    I could have collected it last monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk