Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Reloading Gear

Reloading Gear

Hey all,

I am sick of having to get on my knees for @Philipo when I want to load up some bombs so time for me to bite the bullet (so to speak) and buy myself some kit. So far I have dies, brass, projectiles, primers and powder. I know need:
    a press
    scales
    powder chucker
    trickle charger
    A recipe book

There are probably other things I need or may want but as with most new stuff - ya don't know what ya don't know. As far as budget goes, I can afford to go out and buy new but figure if you fine folks have stuff lying around unused then I'm all about value for money.

Failing you wanting to sell me your stuff - Any recommendations on what to buy and from where? I am considering a Lee anniversary set ($259) but have heard mixed reviews. Also looked at the Redding Big Boss kit ($729) and the RCBS Rock Chucker kit ($870). Question is, are the Redding and RCBS worth the extra coin? Also am I better to just buy the components of the kit separately (is there shit in those kits I'm not going to use?)

Make love not war.

Peace,
    Adam
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

I put my kit together with bits and pieces that I acquired here and there, mainly second hand stuff. I don't use a powder chucker or trickler and get by fine. A decent press and scales are where you should focus most of your coin at first. The little gizmos and gadgets you put together over time or just pinch a few bits the next time you're at his .
    tetawa likes this.

Big boss=perfection....
    Buy once cry once.
    Feather or Shoot, BRADS and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    I put my kit together with bits and pieces that I acquired here and there, mainly second hand stuff. I don't use a powder chucker or trickler and get by fine. A decent press and scales are where you should focus most of your coin at first. The little gizmos and gadgets you put together over time or just pinch a few bits the next time you're at his .
    Have to agree, i do all my reloading with a small container for the powder and an old KFC spoon, i must admit i did use somone's powder thrower when zombies were due to load my .223!!

I have a champher/de burrer you can have

I can understand why you want your own gear, I hear that once you been on ya knees to @Philipo you dont want to go back!!

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post

I can understand why you want your own gear, I hear that once you been on ya knees to @Philipo you dont want to go back!!

Hamish
    Is that why he's single
    Philipo, tetawa, BRADS and 1 others like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I've got a Lee press you can have a look at, maybe swap for a fishing trip or two.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    I've got a Lee press you can have a look at, maybe swap for a fishing trip or two.
    Definitely keen to have a look. Just need the weather to pay ball and we'll get you out for a fish
    Shootm likes this.
    “The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.” - Thucydides 463BC

Nothing wrong with the Lee press kit, great value and it gives you a good base to start from. Change out parts as you need, or when a bargain arises.

The Lee kit has a great powder thrower, and very accurate scales. Grab some bargain Lee dies, and Lee quick trim bits for your drill and you'll be sorted oh and some calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    Hey all,

I am sick of having to get on my knees for @Philipo when I want to load up some bombs so time for me to bite the bullet (so to speak) and buy myself some kit. So far I have dies, brass, projectiles, primers and powder. I know need:
    a press
    scales
    powder chucker
    trickle charger
    A recipe book

There are probably other things I need or may want but as with most new stuff - ya don't know what ya don't know. As far as budget goes, I can afford to go out and buy new but figure if you fine folks have stuff lying around unused then I'm all about value for money.

Failing you wanting to sell me your stuff - Any recommendations on what to buy and from where? I am considering a Lee anniversary set ($259) but have heard mixed reviews. Also looked at the Redding Big Boss kit ($729) and the RCBS Rock Chucker kit ($870). Question is, are the Redding and RCBS worth the extra coin? Also am I better to just buy the components of the kit separately (is there shit in those kits I'm not going to use?)

Make love not war.

Peace,
    Adam
    What cal dies do you require, may be there are some available thru the members.

I bought the Lee anniversary kit about 16 years ago. The only bit I still use is the hand primer, and have just started using the powder thrower for reloading 9mm. My Lee press broke and I bought the Redding Big Boss press.

I've got 7mm RM. Will eventually want 7-08 and maybe 223

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiazonic View Post
    The Lee kit has a great powder thrower, and very accurate scales. Grab some bargain Lee dies, and Lee quick trim bits for your drill and you'll be sorted oh and some calipers.
    The scales are accurate, but slow as shit to settle. You can load decent ammo on them it just takes longer
    tetawa likes this.

spend the coin on some Hornady bench rest scales or similar
    Shootm likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post

Make love not war.

Peace,
    Adam
    If it's good sound advice you're after then steer clear of anything 'Lee'! Out of all the reloading tool failure I've seen (especially around presses) one name rings out... "LEE"!

I've never seen or heard of someone breaking or distorting a Redding Ultra Mag, Big Boss, or even an RCBS Rocktosser press, all of which you can't go wrong with. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% knocking Lee, I do have one of their yellow plastic powder scoop spoon measures, that I use in conjunction with my RCBS/Redding loading gear, and so far I've never had a problem with it, but that's the only thing I use that functions properly from Lee, hell I've even had problems with Lee shellholders!
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!